UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women seeks to appoint the Programme Assistant to be based in Pretoria.
Reporting to Deputy Representative, the Programme Assistant works with and provides support to the members of the SAMCO Team in the development and implementation of effective operations and programmes consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in SAMCO, the Regional Office and UN Women HQs as required for reporting and finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and responsibilities:
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Deputy Representative office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Preparation of high-quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions;
- Management of Deputy Representative missions and representation schedule;
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, contact information;
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of Deputy Representative for his/her signature and making follow-up when required;
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the Deputy Representative’s office;
- Facilitate travel arrangement for the Deputy Representative;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations.
Provide administrative and logistical support to the formulation and management of programmes:
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Provide technical support to the SAMCO and executing agencies on routine delivery and reporting of programme supported activities and finances;
- Prepare information for the audit of programmes/ projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Identify sources and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches, and position papers.
Provide administrative support to the financial management of the Programme Unit:
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare budget revisions, revise project awards and status; and determine unutilized funds and the operational and financial close of a project;
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects; including the finalization of FACE forms;
- Review financial reports; prepare non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Process payment for consultants;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects; register good receipts in Atlas;
- Assist in the preparation and follow up of cost-recovery bills in Atlas.
Provide administrative support to Resource Mobilization:
- Prepare cost-sharing and other agreements; follow up on contributions within SAMCO resource mobilization efforts;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, RO, Operations and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Provide administrative support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management and finance;
- Provide administrative support to the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Good knowledge of programme and operations management;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;
- Strong financial and budgeting skills;
- Strong IT skills.
Required Skills and Exprience:
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education required;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration is an asset.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, operations management or programme management/support;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;
- Experience in the use of ATLAS is an asset;
- Experience in supporting a team.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please note that applications without a completed and signed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
UN Women Personal History form (P-11) can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment .
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Applications should be sent to the below link: https://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=104079
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the United Nations Women, refer to www.unwomen.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.