Lawyers against Abuse
Lawyers against Abuse (LvA) is a non-profit organisation that works to strengthen the justice system’s response to gender-based violence (GBV) by providing holistic support to victims, engaging with state actors and empowering communities. LvA operates Centres in Diepsloot (2014) and Orange Farm (2021), informal settlements known for high prevalence rates of GBV, poverty, and poor service delivery.
LvA seeks to appoint a Treasurer to join our Board, which convenes in Johannesburg on a quarterly basis outside of business hours. As such, there is a strong preference for someone currently based in Johannesburg.
The role of the Treasurer will be to help guide the financial planning and management of the organisation. Specifically, the Treasurer will monitor the financial administration of the organisation and advise the Board on its state of financial health, in line with best practice, and in compliance with all relevant legislation and regulation.
Note that this is an unpaid / voluntary position.
- Provide oversight of budgets, management accounts, cash flow forecasts, annual financial statements and other financial analyses.
- Ensure strong financial policies and controls are in place to ensure that financial resources are properly spent in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements and that proper accounting records are kept.
- Report on organisation’s financial position at quarterly board meetings.
- Liaise with staff members responsible for financial management, as needed.
- Liaise at Board‐level with the external auditors during annual audit, as needed.
- A qualified accountant, or someone with extensive relevant experience in financial management and accounting
- Sound knowledge of current legislation and regulations relevant to the financial management of NPOs in South Africa
- High standard of professionalism, integrity and objectivity
- Experience in a financial oversight role
- Experience of VAT and other tax rules in an NPO preferable
To apply: Submit your CV and cover letter, motivating your interest in this position, to [email protected] by 7 May 2021.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
To know more about Lawyers against Abuse, refer to www.lva.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies