Quote This Woman+
Quote This Woman+ is a South African non-profit challenging gender bias and lack of diversity in mainstream media narratives.In South Africa, only one in five experts quoted in the media is a woman. In certain contexts women are rendered close to invisible in the news: women living with disabilities, elderly, poor, and rural women; women from cultural or religious minorities, and those with different sexual or gender identities. QW+ disrupts this by curating a growing community of women+ experts, to form a database of analysts for newsrooms seeking to diversify their sources and coverage.
As the “+” in our name indicates, QW+ experts are not only women, but include other voices who are marginalised due to gender, sexuality, race, class, geography, disability, and other factors.QW+ was launched in the lead-up to South Africa’s 2019 elections. Since the onset of Covid-19, we have grown operations significantly, nearly doubling our database of experts to meet the growing need for women+ voices in coverage of the pandemic and its social impact.
As of March 2021, the QW+ database includes nearly 450 members across nearly 50 fields, including science, public health, economic policy, politics, education reform, environmental justice and more. We give these women+ experts training and support to participate in media interviews and build their public profile.QW+ works with over 250 journalists to ensure they get daily access to these diverse expert sources, and gives them a fortnightly briefing on opportunities to tackle the news of the day through a gender lens.
Quote This Woman+seeks to appoint a Marketing Unicorn who will also orchestrate our fundraising and new business development to be based in South Africa.
Report to: the Director.
Level: Junior to Middleweight. 3-5 years experience is welcome! However, we understand the value of fast learners and will consider applicants with less experience and high motivation
Contract: Full-time or part-time, 4-6 month independent contract with intention to renew
Benefits: 1-on-1 mentoring from our Director who has over 20 year’s experience in human rights and media. High exposure to gender issues and social justice work while networking with the continent’s greatest thought leaders, educators and activists. This role can be a vital stepping stone for your CV, our previous unicorn was able to secure admission into an international Master’s programme in Gender Studies after 8 months at QW+.
They are looking for someone who can spearhead our branding and marketing, lead our social media presence, identify new growth opportunities, manage fundraising and grant applications, and plug vital gaps as they widen.
- Self-motivated/driven and independent but also a sincere team-player
- Have a passion for human rights and women+ empowerment
- Highly strategic thinker - curious, analytical, open-minded, creative, with a problem-solving “CAN DO” attitude
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities
- Flair for story-telling, writing and communication in simple English
- Social media skills and experience
- Should be an intersectional feminist
- Excellent computer literacy and technical ability (highly proficient in Excel/Google Sheets, Word/Google Docs, Powerpoint/ Google Presentations and quick at learning new applications)
- Assist with the development of a sound business model for our non-profit
- To establish project plans, timelines and reports
- Some knowledge of nonprofit business and management principles
- Ability to determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create action plans, and evaluate the process
- Ability to speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Sales and marketing knowledge and experience is a must
- All rounder who can produce high-quality creative assets relevant to the audiences for which they are needed, minimum creative programme requirement is proficiency in Canva
Send your CV with a short motivation to [email protected], with “Unicorn Business Developer” in the subject header by 12 March 2021
Think the patriarchy sucks?
Want to support women and other marginalised groups as they claim the spotlight?
Believe everyone’s voice deserves to be heard?
Then this is the job for you!
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Quote This Woman+, refer to Quote This Woman+ | Out Loud
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies