IRD SA NPC
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa
Employment Type: Fixed term contract
Reports to: The Finance & Administration Manager
Interactive Research and Development South Africa (IRD SA NPC) is a South African Section 21 not-for-profit entity and an affiliate of Interactive Research and Development Global (IRD Global), and has fully operational offices in Johannesburg, Pretoria (Gauteng) and in Durban (KwaZulu-Natal).
Under the direction of the Finance and Administration Manager, the Finance Officer will provide comprehensive financial support to the IRD SA programs, by handling day to day financial transactions in the office, assisting technical team in preparing budgets, regular payments to vendors and supporting program managers in cash flow preparation. The Finance Officer will also assist in month end reporting both internal and external and preparation of cash projections.
Major Duties / Responsibilities:
- Processing of daily bills, claims and statement of accounts. Assures the authenticity of purchase of goods and services, reimbursement of expenses, footings are correct and cross referenced
- Codes all disbursements to the proper general ledger accounts and project/budget codes
- Preparation on a timely basis of payment vouchers for approval of the Finance and Administration Manager /Country Director. Assure that payment vouchers prior to approval are properly supported by valid documents such as receipts, invoices, contracts, claim forms, request for payments, worksheets, etc.
- Timely Examination of all financial documents, i.e., expense reports, payroll, invoices, purchase orders, contracts, to ensure completeness, accuracy and validity of financial data, as well as being allowable and in accordance with terms and agreement of the various awards and IRD SA financial systems and procedures
- Timely Issuance of payments to suppliers, staff and consultants within agreed budgetary limits and on time thus ensuring that IRD SA fulfils its obligations;
- Daily monitoring of cash position prior to approval of payment vouchers and signing
- Weekly bank reconciliation of funds in the bank assuring that reconciling items are properly accounted for and properly approved by the Finance and Administration Manager
- Follow-up reviews and verifies the liquidation of advances. Prepares the corresponding entry of such liquidation for entry into the voucher and QuickBooks.
- Review and recommend on improvements of general financial system
- Variance reporting of the General Office expenditure versus budget in coordination with the Administrative unit.
- Assist in the preparation of Annual and Revised budget
- Data entry on a daily basis into QuickBooks before payment processing.
- Month-end and year-end processing in coordination with the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Assist project managers with investigations regarding their monthly budget v actual reports
- Assist program managers with preparation of cash flow data.
- Filing chronologically payment vouchers after approval/payment processing together with supporting documents. Stamp “PAID” such documents to avoid having these documents presented for repayment.
- Preparation of payroll for full-time, volunteer and local staff
- Preparation of all Statutory returns e.g. VAT, PAYE, UIF, SDL etc.
- Management of the IRD SA fixed Asset Register
- Orient and train new hired staff in general finance including how to complete the travel expense sheet, as well as protocol for submitting advances or reimbursements
- Assist with preparation of Statutory and Project Audits by Compiling information for internal and external auditors, as required
- Assist in the preparation of all financial and non-financial information required for project sponsors, project managers, Board, Trustees and external funders as required in both routine reporting and ad hoc requests
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Resolve problems with country office cash advance and financial discrepancies;
- Provides support and analysis with accounting and financial reporting to the field, and provides support in the analysis and monitoring of project budgets.
- Assist in the preparation of accounting and financial guidance memos to field offices with special attention to recurring problems. This includes updating policy and procedure manuals on an as needed basis;
Required Experience / Skills:
- BS / BA in Accounting or Finance or related field, and 3-5 years combined experience in accounting / budgeting management;
- Knowledge of Government and donor funded grants, contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective management of multi-year funds;
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control theory and practices;
- Budget development skills with multi funding sources and general ledger skills;
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software and database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems;
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow, may structure work of staff members.
- QuickBooks Accounting software knowledge essential
Interested candidates are welcome to apply, please provide two (2) current, relevant employment references. Submit a brief CV and supporting documents, indicating the job title in your cover letter and subject line on email to Lee-Anne Ogle: Human Resources Dept. @ fax +27 (0) 865722820 or e-mail [email protected]
Closing date for applications: Friday, 14 August 2020
IRD SA is an equal opportunity employer