Social Justice Coalition (SJC)
The Social Justice Coalition (SJC) is a democratic, mass-based social movement that campaigns for the advancement of the constitutional rights to life, dignity, equality, freedom and safety for all people, but especially those living in informal settlements across South Africa.
SJC seeks to appoint a Finance Assistant to be based in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
Start date: ASAP
Employment Type: 12 Months Fixed Term Contract, full-time basis.
Remuneration: R15 000 Total Cost To Company Per Month
Reports to: Governance & Finance Manager
The purpose of this position is to ensure effective financial controls and implementation of financial policies and procedures, managing financial administrative functions.
- In general the employee will be required to – Implement financial processes and systems under the guidance of the Governance and Finance Manager;
- Process requisitions and payments and prepare them for payment.
- Implement the financial filling and record keeping systems with the Governance and Finance Manager and ensure that requisitions, invoices, and receipts are compiled and filed systematically and efficiently;
- Maintain regular contact with other departments to obtain and convey information or to correct transactions;
- Maintain files, including filing of general ledger journal, accounts payable documentation and other miscellaneous filings;
- Prepare account reconciliation (cash, liabilities, fixed assets, payroll accruals) and supporting sub-ledger;
- To prepare and post payroll entries and monthly accruals;
- To reconcile ledger entries and do bank and cash reconciliation monthly;
- To check and verify petty cash payments made monthly;
- Assist with preparation of audit for external audits
- Coordinate the cash disbursement system;
- Ensure that proper administrative files are kept and maintained;
- Keep and manage and updated asset register and asset register system;
- Assist with other accounting projects as assigned
- A Diploma in Accounting or Finance
- Proven track record of experience in financial management with at least 3 years of progressive work experience in donor funded projects
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Excel
It should be understood that SJC is an organization growing and evolving all the time. As such the scope of your responsibilities may change and develop as the organization continues to grow.
If you meet the above criteria and want to join a dynamic group of activists working in South Africa’s townships, please email your curriculum vitae and a maximum one page cover letter to [email protected] with a cc to [email protected].
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
The SJC does not assist with relocation for candidates living outside the Western Cape. Contact will only be made with shortlisted candidates.
For more about the Social Justice Coalition, refer to www.sjc.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies