World Food Programme
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the food aid branch of the United Nations,and the world's largest humanitarian organisation addressing hunger worldwide.
The United Nations WFP seeks to appoint a Administrative and Travel Assistant, based in Johannesburg.
This is 6-month special service agreement contract position.
Position Title: A G5
Internal Vacancy Announcement: OMJ/VA 015/2013
WFP have been the main provider of common services for UN organisations housed in Merafe House, Sunninghill, Johannesburg. Inorder to streamline processing various administrative request there is a need to establish a post for an Administrative Travel Assistant under the current common services status quo.
Under the guidance and supervision of the WFP Administrative Officer, the successful candidate will support the efficient execution of administrative processes related to travel and requisitions. The Assistant will work closely with OCHA and UNESCO Administrative Staff to ensure efficient and smooth processing of various travel and requisition requests.
- Ensure that the WFP travel policy and procedures are followed respectively;
- Obtain quotations for air tickets and coordinate travel bookings as per travel requests;
- Process purchase orders for air tickets and dispatch POs to travel agent, ensuring that the most direct and most economical route is chosen as per the UN rules and regulations and any deviation is recorded on a note to file;
- Liaise with the Travel Center’s designated travel agent, National and International airlines;
- Calculate the staff members entitlements and generate the daily subsistence allowance ( DSA) in the system;
- Monitor and review travel claims and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, reasonableness, validity, and conformity with UN Rules;
- Load traveller profiles on Agency database;
- Arrange Hotel bookings as per UN security requirement, as and when required;
- Coordinate land transport for airport pick up and drop offs, as and when required;
- Check invoices from travel agent and certify accuracy for payment;
- Reconcile accounts to ensure that payment of travel invoices is up to date.
- Assist with the issuance of Purchase Requisitions (PRs) for all non-food related services for further processing though WFP Procurement Unit;
- Reconcile invoices against the PRs/POs and process for payment;
- Posting of GRN / SESs and maintain a proper record of invoices.
- Undergo training on WFP internal rules and regulations;
- Perform any other duties as requested and assigned by the supervisor.
- All travel requests, DSA payments, request for procurements are processed in a timely manner;
- Unforeseen shortcomings addressed with targeted support and guidance from supervisor and admin support team;
- Improved and consistent client satisfaction.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity.
- Knowledge of general office and administrative support including administrative policies, processes and procedures;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Ability to meet commitments and observe deadlines;
- Solid problem solving skills;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Planning and Organising
- Ability to plan own work;
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and work under pressure of tight and conflicting deadlines;
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexity.
- Considers all those to whom services are provided as clients and seeks to see things from their point of view;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Identifies clients' needs and matches appropriate solutions;
- Keeps client informed of progress or problematic issues.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment and respects diversity;
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and encourages office staff to share knowledge to achieve organisational goals.
- Completion of secondary school or its equivalent technical or commercial school;
- Supplementary training in administration or a travel related discipline is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of UN travel policies and processes is highly desirable;
- Minimum of four years of relevant experience of which preferably preferably one year in the UN or other humanitarian agency;
- Knowledge of travel related UN regulations and rules is highly desirable;
- Experience managing multiple deadlines is desirable;
- Experience working in emergencies is desirable;
- Experience in the use of the Computer Reservations Systems (CRS) Amadeus and Galileo is highly desirable;
- Knowledge of written and oral English;
- Positive and constructive attitude.
Remuneration: R16 091 00 per month
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter and/or nited Nations Personal History Form (P.11) to HR.Johannesburg@wfp.org, quoting Announcement No: 015/2013.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the World Food Programme, refer to www.wfp.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.