Western Cape Network on Violence Against Women
The Western Cape Network on Violence Against Women (WCNOVAW) is a broad-based coalition of organisations and individuals working in the Violence Against Women sector. The WCNOVAW primarily implements in the Western Cape province, but facilitates participation and coordination of programmes from provincial through to national level.
WCNOVAW seeks to appoint a short-term Communications Intern, based in Cape Town.
Duration: February 2014 to August 2014 with the possibility of extension.
The core work of the communications officer will be to document activities of the Programme Unit and package information for different target audiences as it relates to women's rights, gender equality, women and HIV in South Africa.
- Embed sector's key advocacy messages to guide the communications strategy;
- Develop communication strategy/plan updating member and secretariat activities;
- Manage queries from the public, other research institutes, the media, and partner organisations;
- Update and maintain the organisation’s website and other internal electronic platforms;
- Develop and oversee the organisation’s social networking platforms;
- Participate in events management and provide logistical support for events;
- Improve accessibility knowledge generated by member organisations;
- Establish a repository of documents, positions papers and newsletter, polices and relevant laws guided by the programme manager;
- Review and track papers and submissions by member organisations in order to popularise and mobilise support around key issues;
- Make documents reader friendly and accessible to a wide target audience.
- BA or Honours in Journalism or Communications;
- Communication and writing skills;
- Experience in writing and research;
- Familiarity with digital photography;
- Familiarity with print and electronic media environment in South Africa;
- People skills;
- Planning and organisational skills;
- Writer with an appetite and passion for social issues;
- Command of English, both written and conversational;
- An interest in local and international news and politics;
- A commitment to development and intellectual engagement;
- Ability and confidence to work at all levels of organisation;
- Attention to detail, efficient, organised and able to meet deadlines;
- Ability to accomplish projects with little supervision;
- Self-starter, with a can-do mindset;
- Willingness to learn;
- Valid driver's licence.
Package: The monthly allowance is R6 500 cost to company, before tax.
A completed application will encompass the following:
- Portfolio of work
- 500 word motivation
- 2 references with contact information
Enqueries: +27 21 633 5287 [extention 2023]
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Western Cape Network on Violence Against Women, refer to www.wcnetwork.org.za/en/index
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.