United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly to advocate for the protection of children's rights, to help meet their basic needs and to expand their opportunities to reach their full potential. Guided by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, UNICEF strives to establish children's rights as enduring ethical principles and international standards of behaviour and action towards children.
In South Africa, UNICEF supports national efforts to realize children’s rights by promoting evidence-based policy advocacy and strategic partnerships as a means to leverage policies and resources for children, giving special attention to vulnerable children and disparity reduction. It works in the areas of health and nutrition, early childhood development; basic education; child protection and social policy, planning, monitoring and evaluation.
UNICEF seeks to appoint a Senior Procurement Assistant, based in Pretoria (Grade: GS - 7).
Under general supervision of the Supply Specialist, the successful candidate will be responsible for all shipping and forwarding documentation and related follow-up activities.
This is a two-year, fixed-term contract with possibility of extension.
- Receives and reviews requisitions for clarity, adequacy of specifications and completeness, confirms availability of funds, and obtains additional information considered necessary;
- Compiles lists of local and BNLS (Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho & Swaziland) sources of Procurement of services, contracts vendors for price quotations, prepares summary of bids including information on price and conditions of offer;
- For more costly procurements of services required under the procurement procedures, drafts request for proposals/invitation to Bid or requests for price quotations and related correspondence;
- Coordinate CRC (contract review committee) documentation for signature and archive documents accordingly as well as preparing and distributing files containing the cases to be presented;
- Once adjudication is done, issue contracts, compile purchase order documents for supervisor’s signature, ensures distribution of purchase document to all required offices and vendors, follow up on receipt of signed contracts and ensures obligation of funds is recorded;
- Extracts procurement information from VISION logs and templates and summarizes for use into the MTR presentations and CRC (contract review committee) reporting;
- Develops and maintains Printer supplier database by visiting new and old printers periodically and update the printer database on suitability and assist with printer evaluation in BNLS (Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho & Swaziland) countries;
- Maintains the UNICEF South Africa Supply website in coordination with the website designer to facilitate tender and vendor application postings and advertisements;
- Process and review the monthly forecast for payment of goods and services for SACO (South Africa Country Office and BNLS (Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho and Swaziland) countries;
- Maintains manual and automated procurement files and records; to provide purchase information to receiving offices;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Chief of Supply & Procurement.
- Completion of secondary education (Grade 12) or equivalent, supplemented by courses in purchasing methods, contracting and/or accounting;
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible clerical or administrative work, with experience in purchasing a variety of materials and services
- Experience with computer database and SAP system is a requirement;
- Strong follow-up and monitoring skills;
- Ability to work well in a team environment;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability and willingness to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sharing UNICEF core values of: Commitment, integrity, diversity and Inclusion.
Proficiency in UNICEF core competencies of: Communication, working with People and drive for results.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only South African nationals will be considered. If you have not been contacted within one month of the closing date, consider your application was unsuccessful. Regret letters will only be sent to interviewed candidates.
UNICEF is a smoke free environment.
UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities. Well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more about the United Nations Children’s Fund, refer to www.unicef.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.