Umtha Welanga is a nonprofit, community-based project that provides capacity building on HIV/AIDS through education and awareness programmes. The orgnaisation renders support services to people infected and affected, recruits and monitors foster placements and parents so as to provide a family environment for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children (OVC).
Umtha Welanga seeks to appoint a Community Social Worker, based in Khayelitsha, Cape town.
This is a one-year contract position starting on 3 December 2012.
The person will be responsible for providing community based social services to identified groups, individuals and families within applicable legislation in order to protect and improve the social wellbeing and functioning of families and individuals.
- Ensure legislation, standards and guidelines are being followed and the child's best interests are paramount;
- Respond to reports of abuse;
- Provide support services;
- Conduct investigations into reports of abuse (i.e. conduct interviews and facilitate medical or psychological examinations);
- Apprehend children in immediate need of protection;
- Provide family counselling and support;
- Develop and implement case plans including reviews and evaluations;
- Facilitate foster home care (development, recruitment, training, placement, monitoring and evaluation);
- Conduct needs and risk assessments;
- Be knowledgeable of government processes;
- Provide counselling services including helping clients to identify problems and possible solutions;
- Provide resolution and referral services for clients who require specialised counselling;
- Facilitate needs fulfilment through the provision of counselling and/or referral services;
- Networking with other stakeholders, government departments and organisations doing similar work as Umtha Welanga;
- Organisational Planning Skills: have the ability and skills to plan and implement programme activities as per funder requirements;
- Leadership and Management Skills: have the ability to supervise and support programme team members (one-on-one supervision, group supervision, provide feedback to programme staff monthly reports, etc);
- Submit monthly funder reports.
- Knowledge of social work theories, practices and procedures;
- Knowledge and understanding of pertinent legislation and policies including the Child and Family Service Act, etc;
- Specific knowledge in the areas of needs and risk assessment, family dynamics, the impact of trauma, psycho-social functioning theories and practices, child protection theories, models and practices;
- Ability to respond or assist in emergency situations and have very good interpersonal, mediation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Ability to produce analytical report writing skills;
- Flexible, adaptable and able to work effectively in a variety of settings and in a cross cultural situation and be knowledgeable of services available in the community;
- Ability to work flexible hours (only if the need arises).
Salary: R10 000 per month
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com or post to Vivienne Mciteka, Director, Umtha Welanga, P.O. Box 16, Khayelitsha, 7785.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a personal interview.
For more about Umtha Welanga, refer to www.umthawelanga.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.