Steve Biko Foundation
Established in 1998, the Steve Biko Foundation is a community development organisation inspired by the legacy of the late anti-apartheid activist.
The Foundation seeks a Programme Assistant, based in Johannesburg, Gauteng.
The incumbent will primarily provide programmatic support to the staff of the Foundation as well as the CEO.
While the primary responsibilities are outlined below, this list should be viewed as a starting point, as the position will evolve and grow according to the successful candidate’s interests and aptitude, as well as the growth of the organisation.
Document preparation: research, writing, editing and proofreading
- Assist staff in preparing and formatting documents, including PowerPoint presentations;
- Draft programme reports;
- Proofread and edit documents as required;
- Conduct background research and prepare briefing documents, agendas, outlines, program materials, etc. for internal and external meetings;
- Receive and reply to general correspondence;
- Draft correspondence on behalf of the executive office;
- Organize regular team meetings and conference calls/video-conferences, including the preparation and distribution of documents and making the necessary IT arrangements;
- Undertake research and prepare briefing files in preparation for travel, special programmes and meetings with external institutions and individuals;
- Attend meetings and take minutes as required.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Collect and collate monthly visitor and programme participant statistics, creating infographics to depict the information;
- Assist the development officer as necessary with general appeals, donor research and requesting meetings with potential donors and partners.
Travel and logistics
- Develop travel budgets;
- Handle logistics, including travel, transportation and catering, for dialogues and other programme related events;
- Research and book the most cost effective travel for staff members and guests of the Foundation;
- Undertake research and prepare briefing files in preparation for travel, special programmes and meetings with external institutions and individuals.
- Answer telephones;
- Maintain confidential records;
- Manage the calendar of the Chief Executive Officer;
- Facilitate requests from internal and external stakeholders for materials, diary engagements, and so on;
- Organise and maintain an organisational e-filing system;
- Work with staff to coordinate activities, meet deadlines, and provide support where needed;
- Manage the database of the Foundation.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in an office setting (three year minimum);
- Strong Internet and computer skills and proficiency in MS Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook; and social media;
- Exceptional research, written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organizational skills, capacity for prioritizing tasks, and ability to handle a wide range of tasks simultaneously, follow through and meet deadlines;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Be calm and flexible with the ability to anticipate challenges and able to work through stressful situations;
- Proactive, 'can –do' attitude with initiative and resourcefulness;
- Ability to work independently, while exercising good judgment and initiative;
- Discretion and the ability to hold confidentiality of executive office;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a courteous, professional work style and ability to respond well to multiple work styles and to handle pressure gracefully;
- A candidate with a driver’s license is preferred;
- Have a demonstrable commitment to the Foundation, its vision, values and its approach.
Remuneration: The salary and benefits offered are market related and commensurate with experience.
Candidates should be prepared to work at evening or weekend shifts within the monthly number of hours on activities associated with the Foundation’s programmes.
To apply, submit a detailed CV and motivation to email@example.com or by fax to: 011 403 8835 indicating the post for which you are applying.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.