Steve Biko Foundation
Established in 1998, the Steve Biko Foundation is a community development organisation inspired by the legacy of the late anti-apartheid activist.
The Foundation seeks to appoint an experienced Personal Assistant, based in Johannesburg.
The incumbent will provide general administrative support to the Johannesburg based staff of the Foundation, in particular the Chief Executive Officer to whom he or she will report.
While the primary responsibilities are outlined below, this list should be viewed as a starting point, as the position will evolve and grow according to the successful candidate’s interests and aptitude, as well as the growth of the organization. The Personal Assistant will focus on two main areas:
- Manage the calendar of Chief Executive Officer;
- Coordinate travel and other logistical arrangements;
- Write correspondence on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer;
- Conduct background research and prepare briefing documents, agendas, outlines, program materials, etc;
- Support meeting preparation, logistics, and follow through;
- Attend meetings and take minutes as required.
- Answer telephones and provide general administrative support to the Johannesburg based staff of the Foundation;
- Process all incoming general correspondence, and reply to general queries from the public;
- Facilitate requests from internal and external stakeholders for materials, diary engagements, and so on;
- Organise and maintain the office filing system;
- Maintain orderly, neat administrative office spaces;
- Oversee the ordering and maintaining in good working condition, administrative office supplies and equipment.
- Provide administrative support to other projects and activities as requested and needed.
- Minimum of three years experience;
- Strong Internet and computer skills and proficiency in MS Office – Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook; and social media;
- Excellent organisational skills, capacity for prioritizing tasks, and ability to handle a wide range of tasks simultaneously, follow through and meet deadlines;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Be calm and flexible with the ability to anticipate challenges and able to work through stressful situations;
- A proactive, 'can –do' attitude with ability to demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness;
- Ability to work independently, while exercising good judgment and initiative;
- Discretion and the ability to hold confidentiality of executive office;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, a courteous, professional work style and ability to respond well to multiple work styles and to handle pressure gracefully;
- Excellent research, communication, writing and proof-reading skills;
- Valid driver’s licence is preferred;
- Have a demonstrable commitment to the Foundation, its vision, values and its approach.
Schedule and remuneration:
- The successful candidate should be prepared to work a normal office schedule up to 45 hours per week
- Candidates will be expected to work at evening or weekend shifts within the monthly number of hours on activities associated with the Foundation’s programmes
- The salary will be market-related and commensurate with experience
To apply, submit a detailed CV indicating the post for which you are applying to email@example.com.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.