Steve Biko Foundation
Established in 1998, the Steve Biko Foundation is a community development organisation inspired by the legacy of the late anti-apartheid activist.
The Steve Biko Foundation seeks to appoint a Facilities Manager, based at at the Steve Biko Centre, in the Ginsberg Township of King William’s Town, Eastern Cape .
The incumbent will have responsibility for the management of services and processes that support the physical structure of the Centre to ensure that it has the most suitable working environment for its employees and their activities. This is a wide ranging position with a diverse range of responsibilities including procurement and contract management, building and grounds maintenance, cleaning, health and safety, security, signage, and utilities and communications infrastructure.
The Facilities Manager will be involved in both strategic planning and day-to-day operations in relation to buildings and premises. The position reports to the Centre Director.
- Familiarise him or herself with the working processes of the equipment and the structure;
- Inspection of and supervision of the condition of electrical, air conditioning, plumbing and other essential facilities and equipment, and maintenance of up to date and accurate records of the condition of the equipment and other systems in the building;
- Respond appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise;
- Create a schedule of regular evaluation and maintenance of the facilities as well as facilitation of the cleaning, repair and maintenance of facilities and equipment;
- Supervising and coordinating work of contractors and checking that agreed work by staff or contractors has been completed satisfactorily and following up on any deficiencies;
- Management of the building security systems to maintain maximum security while not impacting negatively on the activities happening within the building;
- Participate in the development of policies and procedures affecting the use of supplies and facilities in the institution and planning for future development in line with strategic business objectives, including the development of back-up or alternative systems for common problems;
- Ensuring the building continues to meet health and safety requirements and regulations;
- Work towards ensuring the safety of the building and its occupants from hazards;
- Initiate an active campaign on safety measures in the building, as well as maintenance of records and reports for the safety service so that information is readily available if needed;
- Ensure that current best practices are researched and implemented where cost-effective in the facility;
- Evaluate the work of staff members and other subordinates;
- Preparation and monitoring of a budget for the facilities management division.
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent professional qualification;
- Minimum of five years experience in a similar position with demonstrated success;
- Possess a sound knowledge of health, safety and environmental legislation within the built environment;
- Computer literate with experience in relevant building management systems and other software applications;
- Reliable, self-motivated, creative and adaptable individual with the ability to lead innovation, to motivate employees and to contribute to impact while simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities;
- Excellent skills with people at all levels, behave professionally and fairly at all times and be able to juggle multiple and often conflicting priorities with the ability to take control of a situation and resolve it with minimal disruption to the business operations;
- Leadership qualities with good problem-solving skills, excellent organisational skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Communicator in multiple languages in both spoken and written formats to a wide variety of audiences formal and enjoy formidable presentation skills;
- Be calm, flexible, persuasive and able to work through stressful situations;
- Demonstrable commitment to the Foundation, its vision, values and its approach.
Schedule and remuneration:
- The salary and benefits offered are market related and commensurate with experience;
- The Facilities Manager will work standard office hours but should be prepared for 24 hour callouts, based on daily requirements;
- Candidates should be prepared to work at evening or on weekends within the number of hours on activities associated with the Foundation’s programmes.
To apply, submit CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the post for which they are applying.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.