St. George's Cathedral
St. George’s Cathedral known as 'the people's Cathedral' for its role in the resistance against apartheid, is the oldest cathedral in Southern Africa and the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Cape Town.
St. George’s Cathedral seeks to recruit a confident and media-savvy Media Liaison and Public Relations Officer (PRO) to assist the Cathedral in various media-related tasks. This position is based at St. George’s Cathedral in the Central Business district in Cape Town.
The post would be ideal for a graduate or postgraduate student interested in a career in media.
- Replying to, or sourcing replies from within the Cathedral when necessary, queries left on websites, social media and email;
- Monitoring query channels and supply responses;
- Engaging media by occasionally being assigned press releases to assemble, or shorter press blurbs about important events for print and radio event diaries.
Public relations officer
- Assembling a publicity contact base;
- Promoting the Cathedral's activities and facilities on the website and social media;
- Producing a newsletter every two months;
- Attending Cathedral events and initiatives to document them for web, social media and newsletter consumption.
- Qualifications, experience or study in the fields of journalism, media/communications or public relations or-related subjects;
- Interest and commitment to working in the media/communications field;
- Knowledge of South African media landscape, including community media;
- Owns a laptop and competent in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Knowledge and experience of online media databases is desirable;
- Photographic skills;
- Professional telephone manner and the ability to confidently deal with media on the phone;
- Ability to work within a team;
- Creative, fun and flexible approach to work.
Benefits to the Intern:
- Work experience as part of a historical and dynamic Cathedral
- Opportunity to develop skills as Media Liaison and PRO Communications Officer
- Direct experience of working with media
Remuneration and support:
- Work space will be made available at St. George’s Cathedral
- The Intern will be supported by a Communications Committee consisting of Cathedral staff and members of St. George’s Cathedral
- A stipend to cover transport costs can be organised, as necessary
- Upon completion of the internship, a letter of recommendation will be provided if the candidate performed tasks well
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about St. George’s Cathedral, please visit www.sgcathedral.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.