Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC)
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre (SALC) promotes and advances human rights and the rule of law in southern Africa, primarily through strategic litigation support and capacity building. SALC works in Angola, Botswana, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
SALC seeks to appoint an Executive Director, based in Johannesburg.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director provides the vision, leadership and overall direction to the programme activities and administration of SALC.
- Support the Board in determining the strategic direction of SALC and ensuring the development of key associated documents including, but not limited to: strategic plans, budgets and fundraising strategies, annual reports and reviews, and board reports;
- Guide the management team and staff in the development and execution of programme-specific plans;
- Provide oversight and accountability for planning, programme design and delivery of objectives, strategies, plans and budgets in compliance with SALC’s contractual obligations with funders, and SALC’s policies and procedures;
- Ensure the delivery of agreed outputs of the programmes in accordance with the established budget and Board approved plans;
- Monitor the expenditures of the organisation in accordance with Board approved plans and policies, maintaining accountability for financial probity and risk management (including financial risk, risk to staff, reputational risk etc.);
- Provide day-to-day supervision and mentoring of staff;
- Act as lead spokesperson for SALC, representing SALC in public fora and the media;
- Manage the relationship with current and prospective funders including oversight of reporting to donors.
- Extensive organisational management experience, evidenced by previous positions involving administration and direct supervision of staff, ideally in comparable organisations to SALC;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of the human rights and political context in the region and an expert understanding of the international human rights legal framework, and relevant regional and national legal frameworks;
- Demonstrated experience and capability as a leader who can influence the direction of SALC’s impact within the region, including by identifying and accessing the most effective channels for advocacy, and who maintains an active network of contacts in governments, NGOs and the media locally;
- Degree in law is required; LL.M and other advanced degrees are desirable;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Portuguese or French is highly desirable;
- Willingness to travel extensively.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Pamela Timburwa at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
The Southern Africa Litigation Centre’s website is not operational.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.