Sonke Gender Justice
With a full-time staff of 90 people working from offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Agincourt, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
Sonke Gender Justice seeks to appoint a Programmes Director for Regional Capacity Building, based in the Western Cape.
The Programmes Director: Regional Capacity Building manages the International Programmes Unit (IPN) and Sexual Reproductive Health Rights Portfolio (SRHR), is a member of Sonke’s Directors team and reports to the Executive Director. This person will manage the IPN Unit, and Sonke's broader Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) work, as per the KPA’s set out below.
This position is a member of Sonke’s full management team.
Staff Management and strategic oversight
- Provide strategic leadership for Sonkes regional and SRHR work, supporting the development of the Unit’s vision, annual operational plans, strategy and processes;
- Provide innovation for Sonke’s regional and SRHR work, including developing and documenting conceptual and programmatic models;
- Supervise the IPN Unit Manager and SRHR Portfolio Manager, overseeing the effective development, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and sharing of the work of the IPN Unit and SRHR Portfolio, including achievements of donor specific commitments;
- Supervise staff and consultants where necessary & conducts periodic performance appraisals;
- Provide support, guidance and leadership to staff and consultants in the IPN Unit and SRHR Portfolio in all aspects of their work and development, in conjunction with their managers;
- Oversee and support the recruitment, selection, induction and development of employees in these teams;
- Provide financial oversight and ensures the IPN Unit & SRHR Portfolio adheres to budget and financial management, auditing processes, and holds regular communication with the finance team; and
- Support M&E processes within IPN and the SRHR Portfolio and maintain links with the organization’s M&E team.
- Support the overall growth and strategic development of the organisation;
- Participate in meetings convened for Programme Directors, including SMT and FMT meetings, annual operational planning processes and Board meetings;
- Provide quality control for reports submitted to SMT and FMT on behalf of the IPN Unit and SRHR Portfolio; and
- Link with other Units within the organisation to support collaboration and information sharing.
MenEngage Africa and MenEngage Global activities
- Help craft the vision for Sonke’s gender equality work across Africa, including policy development, advocacy and community education approaches;
- Provide regular supervision and strategic support to the MenEngage Africa leadership and team;
- Attend, support and guide MenEngage Africa operational activities;
- Support the long term sustainability for the MenEngage network at country and regional levels within Arica.
Sexual and Reproductive Health and SRHR/HIV linkages
- Provide regular supervision and strategic support to Sonke’s SRHR team;
- Support the SRHR team to integrate a strong focus on SRHR within existing Sonke work, harmonizing related efforts across the organisation and building staff skills;
- Support and strengthens Sonke’s SRHR training, materials development and advocacy, in collaboration with relevant colleagues;
- Link Sonke with regional and global processes on SRHR, and seeks to develop strategic partnerships with existing civil society and governmental providers;
- Represent Sonke as part of a regional and global Men and SRHR campaign.
External Representation, networking and partnerships
- Participate and network in external meetings and events at national, regional and global levels on behalf of Sonke and the MenEngage network;
- Address the media on behalf of Sonke when required to;
- Strengthen collaboration with key partners from other social justice movements, United Nations agencies and government at national, regional and global levels, to support joint campaign and advocacy activities;
- Ensure the continued development and sustaining of new relationships with stakeholders, potential and existing partners in order to further the work of programme units; and
- Network strategically with existing community networks, educational institutions, NPOs and government.
Resource Mobilisation and Donor relations
- Specifically manage donor relations for IPN and SRHR, in conjunction with colleagues, including developing and implementation of annual fundraising plan;
- Lead on fundraising, and raise funds to support the continuation and expansion of IPN and SRHR work;
- Work with the Resource Mobilisation Manager, Executive Director and other colleagues to contribute actively to Sonke’s broader resource mobilization efforts, including submission of regular funding proposals; and
- Work with direct line reports and other colleagues to ensure timely completion and submission of high quality project and donor reports.
- Excellent organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize time and work effectively;
- Exceptional networking skills & strong people skills with the ability to work under pressure;
- Highly-motivated, confident communicator with the ability to engage with people at all levels;
- Pay attention to detail, displays a high level of integrity, able to multi-task and is deadline driven;
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Innovative and creative, able to see new opportunities; is reflective and open to learning;
- Advanced degree, preferably LLM, MPH, or PhD in public health, health and human rights, development, or extensive related experience;
- Minimum of eight years experience in a senior management position and in a similar sized or larger organisation;
- Ability to delegate tasks and responsibilities and follow up regularly;
- Extensive experience working with advocacy organisations in South and Southern Africa;
- Experience in promoting gender equality, preventing domestic and sexual violence and addressing HIV and AIDS, including work with men, preferably in Southern Africa;
- Significant experience with donor liaison, strategy and proposal development is essential;
- Budgeting and financial management skills. Proven ability to interpret financial statements that contributes to strategic decision making;
- Good report writing skills, ability to make presentations coupled with strong problem solving and public speaking skills;
- Knowledge of funding requirements, ability to monitor and ensure compliance with requirements;
- Knowledge of generally accepted good practice in organisations in terms of Finance, HR, procurement and risk management;
- Proven success in managing a team of professionals for an extended period of time;
- Experience with taking ownership for strategic planning, reporting and review in a medium sized organisation;
- Above average competence in the use of computerised packages. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications; i.e. Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint; and
- Willingness to travel within South Africa and internationally.
Salary negotiable dependent on experience and qualifications.
To apply submit a CV and a motivational letter and contact details of two referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 30/06/2014, consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.