Sonke Gender Justice Network
With a full-time staff of 90 people working from offices in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Agincourt, Sonke works globally, and especially across Africa, to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS. In this way the organisation contributes to the development of societies in which men, women, youth and children can enjoy equitable, healthy and happy relationships that contribute to the development of just and democratic societies.
Sonke Gender Justice seeks to appoint a Policy, Development & Advocacy Administrator, based in the Western Cape.
The PDA Administrator will report to the PDA Manager and PDA specialist, and will be a crucial member of the support team for Sonke’s PDA activities. This is a position that has potential for career development and increasing responsibilities.
Personal Assistant to Unit Manager
- Assisting with expense reconciliations;
- Logistical support-checking and flagging important emails and printing;
- Providing support for audit requirements;
- Providing logistical support with all travel requirements;
- PR-meeting and greeting visitors at all levels of seniority;
- Screening phone calls, enquiries and requests, and handling them when appropriate;
- Organising/Managing the Director’s meetings diary;
- Liaising with clients, suppliers and other staff members.
PDA unit administration
- Developing and coordinating the filing and data management system for PDA Unit activities, including maintaining a database of contacts and partners;
- Coordinating logistics (flight bookings, accommodation, per diems, etc) of certain meetings and events;
- Supporting the convening of steering committee meetings where Sonke has that responsibility such as legal sector, detention forums, Shukumisa, PDA unit meetings telecom/Skype conferences;
- Minute taking and administrative support in meetings, where necessary;
- Assisting in making follow up on payments with Finance;
- Assist in the sourcing of quotations and making follow up with service providers;
- Support with expense reconciliations;
- Maintaining an up to date database of trips attended by PDA unit members;
- Coordinating and supporting unit processes such as timesheets and monthly reports;
- Procurement of unit stationery.
- Administrative support to other PDA unit staff;
- Making follow ups with FMT/SMT resolutions, PDA unit staff meeting resolutions;
- Research, writing and editing as the need arise.
PDA Unit processes and management support
- Providing ongoing support to the Director, manager & PDA specialist
- Maintaining the database of PDA partner organizations, relevant government departments, relevant parliament portfolio committee and relevant CGE contacts nationally and provincially;
- Maintain policy materials needs for CEM and our advocacy needs;
- Distribution plan and database of our CGE monitor and other PDA produced policy material.
- Attend staff meetings, staff retreats and staff trainings as required.
- Relevant undergraduate degree;
- Postgraduate diploma an advantage;
- Minimum of two years working on matters related to men, gender, HIV and/or SRHR, preferably assisting programme management in these areas;
- Administrative skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Budgeting skills and experience assisting programme management;
- Excellent written English skills; previous research and writing skills an advantage;
- Ability to prepare and facilitate training;
- Networking and diplomacy skills;
- Ability to work under pressure.
Salary: Negotiable, dependent on experience and qualifications.
To apply submit a CV and a motivational letter and contact details of two referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Department at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from Sonke by 15/07/2014, consider your application unsuccessful.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.