Sonke Gender Justice Network
Sonke Gender Justice Network is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that works across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to support men and boys to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence, and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke Gender Justice Network seeks to appoint a Project Coordinator for the National Teenage Pregnancy Prevention Advocacy Campaign, based in Johannesburg.
The position will begin as soon as possible and run for a 12 month period.
National Teenage Pregnancy Prevention Advocacy Campaign: Sonke is involved in a wide range of initiatives and activities which encompass its multi-faceted approach to promoting gender equality, preventing gender-based violence, and reducing the impact of HIV and AIDS, including advocacy campaigns that operate at the local, national, regional and international levels. Over the last few years, Sonke has sought to conceptualise and develop its own strategic framework around sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), with a particular focus on positively engaging men and boys as a means of improving SRHR for men and women, girls and boys. This project focuses on issues of teenage pregnancy in South Africa and seeks to address young women’s and communities’ needs through increased communication and cooperation among civil society and between civil society and government on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). The project will primarily be focused on a national teenage pregnancy advocacy campaign, which will be conceptualised and developed in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
The person will report to Sonke’s Portfolio Manager of Sexual and Reproductive Health. The Project Coordinator will play a key role in the implementation of campaign plans and advocacy strategies for the project. The position will have the following main work areas:
- Project coordination;
- Media communications and implementation of effective advocacy strategies;
- Collaboration with strategic partnerships;
- Supporting research processes;
- Internal collaboration and supporting broader SRHR activities.
- Coordinate, in collaboration with relevant Sonke staff, overall goals, objectives, workplans and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) processes for the project, and ensure adherence to timelines for key deliverables;
- Ensure timely development, processing and authorisation of payments, contracts and agreements, and that project costs remain within budget;
- Media communications and development of effective advocacy strategies;
- Coordinate overall media and information strategies for the project;
- Provide expertise and guidance on campaign and advocacy techniques, strategies and practices, including use of radio, newspaper, and online including social media;
- Develop or utilise relevant training materials to implement the campaign;
- Train broadcasters and other relevant media staff to effectively engage around issues relevant to the campaign;
- Develop advocacy briefs, campaign materials and messaging; and
- Represent Sonke in a professional manner among different audiences.
Collaboration with and development of strategic partnerships
Support the development and maintenance of new and existing strategic alliances with relevant individuals and organisations to advance campaign goals of the project, particularly women’s rights organisations.
Support research processes carried out in relation to the project.
Internal collaboration and supporting broader SRHR activities
- Draw on the expertise and resources of other Units within Sonke, and ensure the entire organization benefits from the successes and lessons learned from this project;
- Attend Sonke and related project meetings and other activities, when appropriate.
- Recognised university degree in relevant subject area; post graduate qualification an advantage;
- Minimum of five years relevant work experience, preferably within South Africa;
- Project managing experience preferred, and postgraduate degree or professional project management qualification would be an advantage;
- Ability to network and develop and maintain partnerships (internal and external);
- Experience in developing content that supporting public engagement;
- Experience and familiarisation with various media tools such as radio and social media;
- Experience developing training materials and conducting trainings to build capacity within media around social justice issues preferred;
- Administration and budget management experience required to plan, organise and coordinate campaign activities;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse team and in varied environments;
- Good problem solving, interpersonal and facilitation skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written in English; additional South African languages (i.e. isiXhosa, isiZulu, Sotho, Venda, Afrikaans) a strong advantage;
- Recognised commitment to promoting sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), gender equality, human rights and social justice;
- Familiarity with SRHR, with specific familiarity of adolescents needs and issues with SRHR, including but not limited to teen pregnancy;
- Familiarity with technical skills associated with use of media (such as radio, newspaper, and online including social media) to increase awareness and gain public support to further campaign objectives and maximise campaign exposure;
- Knowledge of campaign and advocacy techniques, strategies and practices;
- Specialist campaign knowledge to help place the campaign on the local and national stage as well as community, civil society, and government levels;
- Ability to function effectively within a highly charged atmosphere and to represent Sonke in a professional manner among different audiences;
- Ability to work under pressure, take initiative, multi-task, work creatively and meet deadlines;
- Strong strategic, research and analytical abilities; and
- Good presentation and facilitation skills.
To apply, submit a CV, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of two referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Department via email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 30/05/2014, please consider your application unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.