Sonke Gender Justice
Sonke Gender Justice Network is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) that works across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to support men and boys to take action to promote gender equality, prevent domestic and sexual violence, and reduce the spread and impact of HIV and AIDS.
Sonke Gender Justice Network seeks to appoint a Multimedia Communications Associate, based in based in its office, Cape Town or Johannesburg.
The Multimedia Communications Associate will report on, document and secure media coverage of the work of Sonke Gender Justice (“the organisation”) and the issues on which it works using visual and digital media, and sometimes also print media. This person will also support and contribute to the social media profile and activities of the organisation.
Reporting and content production
- Reporting and content production;
- Social media engagement;
- Media relations and distribution;
- Manage digital media content;
- Assist with the management and updating of the organisation’s website;
- Technological development, research and acquisition;
- Meetings and organisational responsibilities.
Reporting and content production
- Film and edit two to four short movies, documentaries or interviews per month;
- Photograph activities of the organisation;
- Write photo captions;
- Produce slideshows and/or audio slideshows;
- Write narrative reports on the organisation’s issues or activities, or to accompany digital media products;
- Research information for media production and other communications activities of the organisation;
- Check reporting facts and obtain and file necessary releases/consent forms and documentation.
Social media engagements
- Post digital media to the organisation’s social media accounts;
- Write blogs;
- Write posts on the organisation’s social media and online assets (e.g. Facebook, twitter etc.);
- Post blogs and digital media on other online sites and social media;
- Reply to public inquiries and requests (made to the organisation through online channels) and track engagement;
- Regularly post and update the organisation’s social media accounts;
- Contribute to building a dynamic, professional and engaged social media profile.
Media relations and distribution
- Develop relationships between the organisation and the media;
- Distribute content produced by the organization to the media;
- Help develop distribution channels for the organisation’s content;
- Work as a media liaison between the organization and the media, and assist with related logistics.
Manage digital media content
- Download/Upload, archive and catalogue the organisation’s media assets;
- Develop and implement organisational systems to file, label and archive media content and assets;
- Ensure that the organisation’s media assets (including photos, videos, case studies) are readily available to staff;
- Ensure that the organisation’s media assets are securely backed up;
- Update content to the organisation's website (or provide content to the web producer);
- Ensure all digital media and other content is loaded on to the organisation’s website in line with web navigation organisational structure;
- Assist with writing and producing content for the organisation’s website;
- Assist with management of the organisation’s website.
Technological development, research and acquisition
- Help the organization to develop media and technological capacity;
- Research as necessary to advise the organisation on technological assets and acquisitions (including software and equipment);
- Help set up the organisation’s technological systems (including editing workstation etc.).
Meetings and organisational responsibilies
- Prepare for and participate actively in unit meetings, programme and staff meetings;
- Complete relevant work, financial and trip reports.
- Recognised university degree, post graduate qualification an advantage;
- Minimum of three years work experience in a relevant field (e.g. journalism, media, communications);
- Fluency in English, a local language is advantageous;
- Above average competence in the use of computerised packages - Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite applications; i.e. Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint;
- Excellent photographic, video editing, multimedia and writing skills;
- Strong online media experience;
- Experience working in the NGO environment and with international donors advantageous;
- Willingness to travel 20-40% of the time;
- Excellent multimedia production and video editing skills;
- Demonstrated visual competencies;
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write clearly & concisely;
- Web skills advantageous;
- Excellent photographic skills;
- Demonstrated social media competence;
- Organisational and planning skills with the ability to prioritize time and work effectively;
- Strong people skills with the ability to work under pressure;
- Highly-motivated, confident communicator with the ability to engage with people at all levels;
- Pays attention to detail and displays a high level of integrity;
- Ability to multi-task and is deadline orientated;
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Technologically savvy and/or proficient;
- Innovative and creative, able to see new opportunities;
- Reflective and open to learning.
Salary: Negotiable dependent on experience and qualifications.
The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
To apply, submit a CV, and a motivation letter detailing experience and contact details of two referees to Sonke’s Human Resource Department via email to firstname.lastname@example.org,
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us by 15/06/2014, please consider your application unsuccessful. The organisation reserves the right not to make an appointment.
For more about the Sonke Gender Justice Network, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.