Skillshare International (SI) works in close partnership with communities in Africa and Asia to achieve a fair, more just world. Through the organisations international volunteering programme and the expertise and knowledge of our local partner organisations, SI aims to share vital skills and to further economic and social development. Coaching for Hope (CfH) is Skillshare International’s sport for development programme. CfH uses sport as a means of engaging young people, delivering informal education and promoting positive youth development.
International Citizen Service (ICS) is the UK’s leading global volunteering programme that supports young people from all backgrounds to make a difference to global poverty. Funded by the Department for International Development, Skillshare International’s ICS programme is building a generation of global citizens across the UK and in developing countries.
Skillshare International seeks to appoint a Volunteer Team Leader for the International Citizen Service, based in Cape Town, South Africa.
The Team Leader will report to the ICS Programme Supervisor
This is a six-month position.
The Team Leader will be passionate about making a difference to the world and have the ability to take on a more senior role, Skillshare International is looking for team leaders who can lead and motivate groups of young people who are involved in developmental projects.
ICS Team Leaders contribute to the delivery of the ICS programme, while supporting a group of ICS volunteers, both national and international.
- Attend a one-day leader specific training session;
- Attend a two-day training weekend with ICS volunteers and act as a positive role model for them;
- Familiarise yourself with the team leader manual and carry out all necessary tasks listed meeting all deadlines.
- Initial research into country programme.
Volunteer Welfare and Development Support
- Act as a positive role model to volunteers adhering to code of conduct at all times;
- Complement staff welfare visits, offering day to day support to volunteers;
- Communicate on a day to day basis with Programme Supervisor, sharing information on volunteer welfare issues;
- Facilitate the development of volunteer’s personal and professional skills;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the programme aims and objectives.
Programme Planning and Facilitation
- Lead elements of the volunteer induction training;
- Lead teams of volunteers deployed with partner organisations and communicate with community partner leaders;
- Support volunteers and participate in the planning and design of their community programme plan, sessions and events.
- Support volunteers to write their team plan.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Support volunteers to document their activities using tools provided;
- Collect evidence of impact from volunteers, young people in communities and leaders in communities;
- Lead on elements of review sessions with volunteers.
Action at Home
- Attend a two day training weekend focusing on debrief and planning for Action at Home;
- Complete Action at Home, within six months after placement;
- Complete Action at Home evaluation form and return to Skillshare International staff.
- A passion for the role of young people in international development;
- Supports Skillshare International’s objectives and values;
- A full commitment to the three stages of ICS (Pre-Departure Preparation, Placement and Action at Home);
- Ability to work as part of a team and to work on your own initiative, be self motivated, a self starter.
- Sensitive to the needs of others and committed to learning from the ICS placement.
- Experience of working with and supporting young people;
- Experience of working / volunteering in a developing country;
- Experience of working in a cross-cultural environment;
- Basic understanding of development issues, e.g. poverty, inequality, education, health, environment, etc;
- Experience of coordinating a project, programme or initiative;
- Experience of managing resources;
- Facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to plan logically, managing a varied workload and working environment;
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Whilst a background of playing or coaching sport, knowledge of sports development or sport for development would be an advantage such skills or experience are not essential for these positions.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter explaining how the job links with your competencies as demonstrated by previous experience to email@example.com with International Citizen Service Team Leader as the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about Skillshare International, refer to www.skillshare.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.