South African Institute for Distance Education (Saide)
The South African Institute for Distance Education's (Saide) recently established, innovative African Storybook Project aims to support early literacy development through creating and stimulating the use of a website and digital library of openly licensed local language stories for the first few years of reading. Founded in 1992 as an educational Trust, Saide strives to increase access to quality cost-effective education through the use of open learning approaches, quality distance education strategies, and appropriate technology in South Africa and the African region.
Saide seeks to appoint a Digital Story Publishing Coordinator, based in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Duration: 2013 to 2016
This is a full-time contract position until December 2016
The successful candidate will oversee a process of digitally publishing a critical mass of stories in local languages for early reading acquired from three pilot countries (Kenya, Uganda and South Africa) and elsewhere.
- Passion for and knowledge of African children’s literature for the early years, including emergent literacy;
- Ability to write, version and translate stories for children;
- Knowledge and experience of publishing on the web;
- Ability to manage a digital publishing process, with a good design sense and attention to detail;
- Commitment to professional learning, particularly in alternative publishing models and open licensing;
- English communication skills, both oral and written;
- Knowledge of one or more African languages, particularly those from the pilot countries;
- At least an Honours level qualification in a relevant area.
Remuneration will be commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply, submit a written one-page motivation, CV and the names and contact details of three work-related referees to Maureen Madonsela at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Enquiries: Tel, 011 403 2813
More comprehensive project and position descriptions are available on the website.
For more about the South African Institute for Distance Education, refer to www.saide.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.