Oxfam Italia, which became part of Oxfam international confederation in 2010, builds upon its previous work as Ucodep, an Italian non-governmental organisation committed with passion and professionalism, since over 30 years, to improve the living conditions of thousands of poor people in the world, to give them the power to shape their future, to control and direct their own life and to exercise their rights.
Oxfam is the fourth NGOs coalition in the world specialised in humanitarian aid and development projects. It is composed by 14 organisations of different countries cooperating with 3 000 local partners in over 99 countries to identify lasting solutions to poverty and injustice. Oxfam Italia works with members of Oxfam international confederation, contributing to assure sustainable tools for living, the rights to water, to health and to instruction, the respect of human rights in humanitarian crises, the right to participation, to be heard and solidarity.
Oxfam Italia seeks to appoint an Associate Country Director – South Africa, based in East London, Eastern Cape.
- Responsible for the delivery, effective management and monitoring, evaluation and learning of OIT’s country programme;
- Line manages the Implementing Affiliate’s work in the country – staff, budget, funding and the programme delivered by the Implementing Affiliate. Is line managed by OXFAM Italia Head Office in Florence;
- Works to ensure that the Single Management Structure change activity is implemented successfully.
- Works with the Country Leadership Team to ensure that minimum standards are met in the country for programme, programme management, HR, finance, security, health and safety etc;
- Co-ordinates with the Country Leadership team, to identify new funding sources and negotiate funding opportunities to support programme implementation;
- Ensure overall leadership of disaster preparedness, disaster risk reduction and humanitarian response activities for Category 2 and 3 emergencies guarantying the one programme approach.
- Provide technical management in relation to OIT country programme in the Provinces of Eastern Cape and Gauteng;
- Responsible for the correct financial management of OIT country programme in the Provinces of Eastern Cape and Gauteng;
- Responsible for all the procurement processes of OIT country programme;
- Responsible for reports to the Italian headquarters, the South Africa’s CD, and to the OIT’s donors
- Provides strategic leadership of Oxfam’s programme in South Africa;
- Legally represents OIT in South Africa.
- University degree in social sciences, economics, development or similar fields;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word;
- Minimum of 10 years experience in development work;
- Minimum of three years experience as Country Director or equivalent position with an international NGO;
- Minimum of five years experience in managing budgets of projects funded by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE) and the European Union ((EU);
- Excellent knowledge of the Italian language (especially written for reporting purposes);
- Excellent knowledge of the English language;
- In depth knowledge of rules and general principles of budgeting and auditing of funds promoted by MAE and EU;
- Previous experience of preparing and managing international procurements;
- Previous experience in management positions with Non-profit Organisations.
Competences to be developed within the position or, if already possessed, will constitute further advantage
- Master’s degree in Management of Non-Profit Organizations or similar fields;
- Basic knowledge of French language;
- Knowledge of accounting software: NPS
Crosscutting competences: -Problem Solving, ability to work under pressure, ability to listen, team building.
This is a fixed-term contract. Salary: Approximately R30 000 – R35 000 (gross per month). The position does not foresee any benefits, in addition to said remuneration. The exact salary will be defined based upon the candidate’s profile in agreement with Oxfam Italia’s internal salary scale.
Starting date: 15 January 2013.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of three professional referees and motivation letter with 'Selection Associate Country Director – South Africa – East London - Name Surname' in the subject line to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Method of selection
The CVs received will be pre-selected according to their coherence with the required profile. The candidates shortlisted will be called in for selection tests starting from the day immediately after the deadline for the submission of CVs.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted based upon the documents sent.
The selection process will be based upon written tests and individual interviews that will take place by no later than 4 December 2012.
Travel and participation costs to the selection test and interview are on account of the candidates.
Only the candidates whose profiles fit the requested criteria will be taken into consideration. We kindly ask those candidates who don’t fit the criteria to refrain from sending their application.
For more about Oxfam Italia, refer to www.oxfamitalia.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies..
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook at http://mzan.si/AAzs.