Operation Smile South Africa
Operation Smile South Africa (OSSA) is a volunteer, nonprofit medical organisation that provides free surgeries to children and adults as well as educational and training opportunities that promote sustainability and self-sufficiency throughout the region.
OSSA seeks to appoint a Programme Coordinator, based in Cape Town with frequent international and domestic travel.
The Programme Coordinator will work on the preparation, execution, and reporting of all surgical programmes in South Africa and neighbouring countries.
Starting date: 1 February 2013.
The person will report to the Regional Director and Programme Manager.
General summery of duties:
The Programme Coordinator will work with the Programme Manager on the preparation, execution, and reporting of all surgical programmes in South Africa and neighbouring countries. S/he will work to help further develop the five year strategic plans for programmes in Southern Africa including timelines. The Programme Coordinator and Programme Manager are responsible for all the medical and non-medical volunteers and all surgical programmes.
The Programme Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Programme Manager with all logistics pertaining to programmes of Operation Smile Southern Africa including fact finds, working with in-country hosts, leading the mission, and reporting on it. They will work with the Regional Director, Media Coordinator and Education Manager to incorporate our sponsors in missions through employee volunteer programmes and press conferences to promote the relationships. This job will also involve assisting the Regional Director in fundraising efforts from local companies when working in neighbouring countries as well as local media to create more brand awareness in the countries.
The Programme Coordinator is responsible for activities pertaining to Operation Smile Southern Africa surgical programmes including:
Medical mission/fact finds/strategic plan for programmes:
In South Africa
- Work with the Regional Director and Programme Manager to oversee the Medical Council and facilitate recruitment of medical volunteers and the procurement of medical supplies and drugs within South Africa;
- Work with the Programme Manager to ensure the efficient management of the Operation Smile South Africa Warehouse;
- Working with the Regional Director and Programme Manager to develop plan for adding value to cleft canters;
- Help plan, execute and lead missions within South Africa;
- Manage and keep on file the participation of medical and non-medical volunteers in missions outside Southern Africa, assisting with logistics (flights/visas/paperwork) and keeping track of their movements;
- Work with the Education Manager in helping to facilitate medical and non-medical volunteer’s participation involvement in workshops and conferences outside of the Region.
Outside South Africa
- Help develop a strategic plan for programmes within Southern Africa and for the growth and sustainability of programmes within each partner country;
- Undertake Fact Finds and assessment trips to set up and prepare for programmes in new sites/countries for missions;
- Plan and prepare all that is necessary to facilitate a successful surgical mission, collaborating with all necessary parties;
- Help and eventually lead missions throughout Southern Africa ensuring safe, fun, and smooth programmes;
- Working with the Programme Manager to ensure smooth and efficient volunteer management and to develop a reward system for them (volunteer retreat, volunteer of the quarter etc.);
- Assist in creating networks and support to ensure smoothly run, safe, and cost-effective medical missions with new and existing private and corporate partners;
- Recruit medical volunteers and maintain the volunteer database consistently;
- Work with the Media Coordinator and Regional Director to obtain coverage and recognition for Operation Smile missions, fund-raising events, board members, and major donors;
- Provide accurate reports on programmes to help plan and develop future ones and to provide feedback to our sponsors and volunteers.
The Programmes Coordinator will at all times, act with professionalism in all activities and will maintain the confidentiality of the privileged management and donor information. Programme Coordinators will readily accept new assignments consistent with the mission of Operation Smile.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about Operation Smile South Africa, refer to www.operationsmile.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.