Operation Smile South Africa
Operation Smile South Africa (OSSA) is a volunteer, nonprofit medical organisation that provides free surgeries to children and adults as well as educational and training opportunities that promote sustainability and self-sufficiency throughout the region.
OSSA seeks to appoint a Marketing, Media and Event Coordinator, based in Cape Town.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the regional head office of an international children's medical charity. In 2012 Operation Smile South Africa coordinated medical missions and patients referrals to provide nearly 1,000 free surgical procedures to children (and adults) living with cleft lips and cleft palates in Southern Africa. This particular role has a high degree of independence and the possibility to really make your mark on this growing organisation. While largely office based, there will be a need for this coordinator to participate in international medical missions in order to ensure suitable coverage for our work.
The Marketing, Media and Event Coordinator will be responsible for all things marketing, press, communication and media related, With the assistance of the Regional Director, s/he is also responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of both the Operation Smile South Africa Website and all social media and has to ensure that it is regularly updated and that it meets the guidelines set by Operation Smile International. They will produce at least quarterly, a newsletter to OSI and OSSA standards, and maintain and update the OSSA database of partners, donors, and volunteers with all old and new contacts to ensure distribution to all connected and potential organisational partners.
S/he will be in charge of organising and confirming the mission photographer and videographer and ensuring their timely and adequate follow up post mission. S/he will oversee the type of photos to be taken, patient stories to be collected, the organisation of the photos post mission, and create the most ideal structure for utilising the various photos to assist with the promotion of Operation Smile and our sponsors throughout the year including email-ready donor specific patient stories and accompanying photos.
S/he will be responsible for placing stories regarding Operation Smile in the press and coordinating appropriate mission and programme coverage in South Africa and mission countries. This includes involvement with the programme department to ensure appropriate pre-mission media for patient recruitment (radio/TV/Newspaper coverage).
In addition to this, he/she will also be required to help to represent OSSA at various tradeshows and congresses in order to recruit new medical and non-medical volunteers. The Marketing, Media and Event Coordinator will also be responsible for coordinating fundraising events and supporting fundraisers with their activities primarily by ensuring press coverage for appropriate fundraisers and the development and provision of appropriate marketing material. They will also be responsible for pushing the debit orders from individual donors through press/marketing and events.
The Marketing, Media and Event Co-coordinator may be required to help coordinate the press conferences and media attention surrounding the mission. This may well be coordinated from the OSSA offices rather than on missions. They may also be required to do follow up trips to try to access previous patients and do long-term follow up patient stories to showcase the long-term changes and effects of their surgeries.
S/he will be responsible for coordinating at least one OSSA fundraising event a year in conjunction with the Regional Director.
S/he will be responsible for ensuring that the communication from the OSSA office is consistent and of the highest standards including all communication with donors.
The Marketing, Media and Event Coordinator has to be self-motivated, innovative, guiding, organised and able to work in a global team.
- Periodic updates of press release template formission and education programmes;
- Press releases throughout the year to highlight our work in appropriate popular media. (print, radio, TV);
- Develop a strong relationship with local press within South Africa and neighbouring countries;
- Continuously update a Media Binder capturing any mention of the organisation in the press;
- Obtain coverage and recognition for Operation Smile programmes, missions, fund-raising events, and provide usable documents/patients stories to provide in a timely manner to corporate partners.
Support theorganisation of press conferences prior to programmes;
- Work with incoming media who may be a part of mission teams and do appropriate follow up of their coverage. Provide feedback on all media coverage to the OSI Communications Department;
- Ensure that sponsors are appropriately highlighted in the media;
- Work with the mission photographer to obtain the best images and patient stories for the media and to highlight the work of sponsors (for their internal communication);
- Ensure that there is appropriate videos of programs every few years in each country, using this opportunity to highlight partners.
Communication and social media
- Maintain and regularly update the OSSA Website;
- Maintain and regularly update the donor communication;
- Create and send a regular (at least quarterly) newsletter for volunteers, donors and supporters;
- Update marketing material and communication documents;
- Coordinate with OSI and other foundations to ensure that best practices and information is shared as appropriate.
- Support fundraisers where appropriate (typically extreme fundraisers, large gala events etc.) with press coverage and ensure that they have appropriate promotional material.
- Material development and update:
- Continuously update marketing material and OSSA communication material.
- Coordinate at least one large OSSA fundraising event a year in conjunction with the Regional Director;
- Work with interns and local chapters to ensure that regular events are hosted throughout the year.
- Consistently updating the OSSA Activity report in a timely fashion after each surgical and educational programme and with any updates or necessary changes.
- The Marketing, Media and Event coordinator will, at all times, act with professionalism in all activities and will maintain the confidentiality of the privileged management and donor information. S/he will readily accept new assignments consistent with the mission of Operation Smile, will remain flexible and understand that this position is a constantly evolving one that necessitates the taking on of new roles as the position develops.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant business or international field. Master’s degree in related field will be strong plus;
- Minimum of three to five years experience with an international agency or corporation;
- Experience and success in PR, events or project planning and marketing;
- Highly organised and self-motivated;
- Ability to work in a global team-based environment that includes board members, medical professionals, and volunteers;
- Ability to accept newly assigned projects or duties as they become necessitated;
- Oral, written, and presentation language skills are required.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about Operation Smile South Africa, refer to www.operationsmile.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.