Maun Animal Welfare Society
Mau Animal Welfare Society (MAWS) is an animal welfare charity based in Maun, Botswana and located on the fringes of the Okavango Delta, the world’s largest inland delta and one of Africa’s most wildlife-rich areas. The organisation mission is to prevent indiscriminate breeding, transmissible disease and human-inflicted cruelty in domestic animals via sterilisation, vaccination, and education.
MAWS sterilises and vaccinates dogs and cats across Botswana to reduce breeding and the risk of disease transmission to human and wildlife populations. The organisation also has a division that runs equine welfare and education clinics (‘donkey project’). This role primarily relates to the domestic animal project (‘dog project’).
Over the past decade MAWS has sterilised and vaccinated more than 15,500 dogs, funded via a combination of local fundraising and the occasional international grant. The organisation is now looking to achieve financial sustainability and has been awarded a grant to prioritise large scale grant seeking by recruiting a professional fundraising manager.
MAWS seeks to appoint a Fundraising Manager, based in Botswana.
Based in Maun, the post holder would report to the charity’s Committee and manage fundraising activities in Botswana and internationally.
- The post holder is managed by and reports to MAWS but will develop direct communication channels with the project sponsor, Dogs Trust, for day-to-day queries and general programme assistance.
- The post holder has a responsibility to maintain good working relationships with MAWS staff and volunteers.
- The post holder will manage their own time and commitments within the specified hours with guidance from MAWS.
- There will be no day-to-day supervision; instead work is checked through observations of training, records of work completed and proposals submitted, and regular status meetings.
- Define a list of potential large scale donors and funds, and develop tangible relationships with them;
- Develop a cost effective donor acquisition strategy, managing a programme of campaigns, appeals and events;
- Promote individual giving through online channels;
- Develop affiliations with complementary animal welfare coalitions and wildlife organisations;
- Attend key conferences (pan-African and global) and raise international awareness of our abilities;
- Conduct a calendar of local events to raise community funds and awareness.
- Research and write accurate and persuasive funding proposals;
- Maintain and enhance MAWS’ digital communications channels (website, Facebook, Twitter, email marketing);
- Promote MAWS’ activities internationally and within the Maun/Botswana community;
- Develop and maintain regular contact with key international animal welfare professionals;
- Attend international training and development seminars as required to keep up to date with current trends and initiatives in the animal welfare world;
- Maintain accurate records in an agreed format of all activities and expenditure.
- Extensive relationship management experience, preferably from individual giving and/or major donor fundraising;
- Experience of planning and implementing fundraising campaigns, events and/or appeals;
- Demonstrable prospect research experience in driving acquisition and recruitment of supporters;
- Demonstrable ability to write and design accurate and persuasive proposals, fundraising communications or other marketing materials;
- Proven experience of using at least one type of customer relationship management database;
- Experience of customer care, and a clear understanding of donor development;
- Strong interpersonal skills - must be able to meet, communicate and negotiate with diverse audiences;
- Dynamic self-starter, with the ability to work with minimal supervision, use own initiative, manage competing deadlines, and develop new programmes;
- Strong commitment to MAWS’ ethos and objectives;
- Experience of working in the animal welfare field;
- Educated to Bachelor’s degree level, or equivalent;
- Valid driver’s licence.
The initial role is a fixed two year contract, but a motivated Fundraising Manager would be able to create the opportunity to advance and/or expand the scope and duration of the position. MAWS welcomes international applicants.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter indicating your suitability for the role to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Please note that only successful applicants will be contacted.
For more about Mau Animal Welfare Society, refer to www.maunanimalwelfare.com.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.