IPS Africa is a development focused communications organisation with a news service at its core.
IPS Africa seeks to appoint a Thematic Editor, based in Johannesburg.
The Thematic Editor is required to assist with delivery of a project specifically focused on the UN Global Plan to eliminate new paediatric HIV infections and keep mothers living with HIV healthy, as well as to assist with other projects as required. To be considered for the role, the candidate must have previous print and / or online news editing experience, and fluency in both French and English is essential. Multi-media experience, particularly radio, would be an advantage.
The successful candidate will report to the Regional Editor.
This is a full-time position, available as soon as possible.
- Work with the Editorial Partner, Regional Editor and other stakeholders to identify specific reporting themes in line with project goals;
- Prepare briefing notes for reporters;
- Commission stories, in consultation with the Regional Editor, the Editorial Partner, and other stakeholders as required;
- Edit, rewrite and assist writers develop stories, including assisting them finding sources and formulating questions for sources consistent with the IPS Style rules;
- Coach new writers as per the IPS Africa story style and style guide;
- Review and editing blogs from field experts;
- Write analysis or key Q and As as needed;
- Upload stories at defined intervals as defined by the project plan;
- Ensure story outputs meet the timeline defined in the project plan and reporting immediately on issues which are impacting on meeting this requirement;
- Disseminate technical information to journalists as provided by technical experts (in consultation with the Editorial Partner) and production of fact sheets pertaining to the project;
- Give input into training programmes;
- Facilitate training where necessary;
- Prepare multi-media products for thematic webpage;
- Prepare weekly reports (or more frequently if required in the case of close deadlines) on project progress for the Regional Editor, Project Manager and Regional Director;
- Promotion of content to other media distribution houses in Africa.
- Tertiary qualifications in Journalism from a well-regarded institution;
- Three to five years’ experience as an Editor;
- Experience in coaching and mentoring African journalists;
- Understand development issues;
- Ability to engage and work with a range of Stakeholders;
- Ability to work to deadline;
- Fluency in both English and French;
- Experience working with UN agencies;
- Multimedia experience;
- Understand sexual and reproductive health rights issues in Africa;
- Understand issues impacting child bearing women with HIV and their families;
- Travel may be required.
To apply, submit a CV with a brief covering letter indicating previous editing experience to AfricaHQ@ips.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to complete a set task in both French and English in addition to a formal interview.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
This position is in Johannesburg, but applicants from elsewhere in sub Saharan Africa will be considered.
For more information on IPS Africa, refer to www.ipsnews.net/Africa
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.