IkamvaYouth equips learners from disadvantaged communities with the knowledge, skills, networks and resources to access tertiary education and/or employment opportunities once they matriculate. IkamvaYouth aims to increase the collective skill level of the population, to grow the national knowledge base, and to replicate success in more communities. A non-profit organisation (established in 2003 and formally registered in 2004) with branches in three provinces in South Africa, IkamvaYouth currently operates from Khayelitsha, Nyanga and Masiphumelele in the Western Cape, Ivory Park in Gauteng, the greater Cato Manor area and Molweni in KwaZulu-Natal.
IkamvaYouth seeks to appoint a Communications Coordinator, based in Cape Town.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of changemakers and to play a pivotal role in a by-youth for-youth educational movement that empowers young people to take their futures into their own hands. S/he must be an enthusiastic and pro-active social entrepreneur who is passionate about the power of education to transform lives and communities; a person who aims to make a difference.
- Overall responsibility for IkamvaYouth communications and PR, including building and driving a communications strategy;
- Responsibility for all media amplifying the organisation’s core objectives through promoting the project’s achievements in national and regional press, as well as trade titles;
- Developing and implementing a communications strategy for inspiring and lobbying organisations to implement the IkamvaYouth model, companies and donors to support its implementation, and individuals to volunteer as tutors and mentors;
- Coordinating communications for the 10 Year Anniversary Celebrations and Vision 2030 plans;
- Providing expertise and guidance to national and regional staff;
- Managing relationships with media;
- Overseeing two websites (www.ikamvayouth.org and www.ikamvanitezone.org) and social media;
- Reporting to stakeholders and supporters, including the Annual Report.
- Proven PR and communications experience (ideally 5+ years);
- Strong national network of media contacts across national, regional and trade;
- First class copywriting skills and ability to sub and proof others’ written material;
- Ability to respond quickly to the news agenda; pro-active engagement with media to secure stories about/profile key case studies;
- Ability to remotely manage and liaise with team members working nationally;
- Project management of online content and communications projects;
- Knowledge of and passion for working within national education landscape/sector;
- Experience working on an integrated communications strategy (either within agency or freelance);
- Experience of PR for similar initiatives/organisations;
- Experience in content creation for online/social media communities;
- Experience overseeing web and design projects.
Remuneration: R14 000 - R17 000 per month.
To apply, submit a CV to email@example.com, with "Communications Coordinator" as the subject.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Correspondence limited to shortlisted candidates only. No late applications will be accepted.
For more about Pact South Africa, refer to www.ikamvayouth.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.