Hivos - Regional Office Southern Africa
Hivos - Humanist Institute for Cooperation in full, in Dutch: Humanistisch Instituut voor Ontwikkelingssamenwerking, is a Dutch organisation for development co-inspired by humanist values. Hivos provides financial and political support to over 800 partner organisations in over 30 countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and South-Eastern Europe.
Hivos seeks to contribute to a free, fair and sustainable world in which citizens (women and men) have equal access to the resources and opportunities for their development and where they can actively and equally participate in decision-making.
In Africa programmes are mainly in East and Southern Africa. Hivos advocates for an Open and Green Society where organizations and people are able to develop their capacities and power to innovate and develop solutions to transform their landscapes and systems to better their lives and those of future generations. The Regional Office for Southern Africa operates in Zimbabwe, Malawi, South Africa and Zambia.
Hivos seeks to appoint a Programme Coordinator, based in Malawi.
The post holder will play a lead role in coordinating the delivery of Hivos’ Child Marriage programme, working with government, civil society and other various actors. The overall vision that the Child Marriages programme seeks to contribute towards stopping child marriages in Malawi , by promoting the rights for girls to choose their future destiny. It is the intention of the programme to ensure development of socially and psychologically empowered young women in Malawi who are able to self-actualise. The job will involve planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting on programme activities. In addition, the person will oversee the capacity building of partners, contribute to internal and external communication and advocacy, resource mobilisation, knowledge generation and management, and any other relevant assigned duties.
As a member of the global Rights and Citizenship team reporting to the Regional Director, and working under close supervision and coordination with the Regional Programme Officer, the Programme Coordinator contributes constructively and positively to the Hivos policies around civil rights, child marriages and Sexual Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR).
As part of core duties, the Programme Coordinator will undertake the following responsibilities: Planning and coordination of partners and other stake holders; Implementation support for programmes and operational finances; Capacity building for partners , government and other stakeholders; Communication and advocacy for the child marriages programme; Resource mobilization; M&E and Reporting and Knowledge Management to record and share lessons learnt from the project.
To apply you will need to be a qualified individual with strong analytic skills and have a passion for promoting the rights of the girl child. You have strong communication skills, both orally as in writing in English and at least one of the local Malawi Languages. You are a good networker with an ability to mobilize your network in support of the programme objectives. You have good substantive knowledge in SRHR, Gender and women empowerment, multi-actor programming and good practical and conceptual knowledge of human rights based approaches. You are self-disciplined and are able to perform administrative tasks as part of your responsibilities.
- Master’s degree in gender, human rights or development studies or economics or public policy with a gender component or at least three to five years of work experience within an international development agency at similar level;
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience in any of the areas indicated above of which at least three years of professional experience in programme/project management;
- Experience in designing and implementing programmes or joint projects with capability to empower and develop the capacity of counterparts;
- Experience providing advisory services in the area of gender equality with proven expertise in writing cogent and convincing programme documents;
- Experience coordinating multi-partner programmes, and proven experience in partnership building and networking;
- Excellent communication skills and track record in resource mobilization and donor and external relations;
- Sound understanding of the cultural and social environment of Malawi;
- Advanced user level computer skills and strong knowledge of various software including Microsoft Excel, Power point and Word;
- Must be fluent in English and sound understanding (written and spoken) of any of the Malawi local languages is highly desirable.
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. Hivos welcomes applications from citizens from South Africa, Malawi, Zimbabwe and Zambia. For this position only applicants with a valid work permit for Malawi can be offered employment on local terms and conditions.
Female candidates meeting the above criteria are strongly encouraged to apply. Only applications received on the above email address will be considered. No hard copies.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to email@example.com or hand deliver to 20 Phillips Avenue, Belgravia, Harare, Zimbabwe.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
For more about Hivos, refer to www.hivos.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.