Heifer International South Africa
Heifer International (Heifer) is a nonprofit organisation that works with communities to end hunger and poverty and care for the earth.
Heifer seeks to recruit a Blouberg Project Senior Coordinator, based in Polokwane, Limpopo.
Heifer International South Africa’s (Heifer) mission is to work with communities to end hunger and poverty in South Africa and care for the Earth. As a means to reach our mission, the organisation is scaling up its programme work and impact in order to reach more families at a faster pace using appropriate enhanced systems.
This position will be responsible for leading, coordinating and implementing the Blouberg Project in Limpopo based on Heifer’s proven global model, sound planning, monitoring, and evaluation practices for improved livelihoods in the project area.
Under the supervision of and in consultation with the Director of Programmes, the Blouberg Project Senior Coordinator will lead and manage programme planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of project activities. Sixty per cent of the Project Senior Coordinator’s time will be spent on the field on implementation and supporting project participants and 40% for administrative, relationships and other activities.
This is a three-year fixed-term contract.
The person will report to the Director of Programmes.
Programme planning, monitoring, evaluation and documentation
- Lead and coordinate implementation and adherence to Heifer’s system of planning, monitoring and evaluation, ensuring that Blouberg project is well implemented, achieve desired impact and scale, and well documented;
- In collaboration with the Director of Programmes and the Fundraising, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator, develop and implement the Blouberg project plans and budgets within the Jobs Fund agreement parameters;
- Monitor progress toward project objectives and goals; adjusting plans and activities as necessary in order to achieve project goals;
- Develop/upscale Project as the case maybe and when necessary;
- Coordinate baseline survey and support periodic, mid-term and final evaluations;
- Compile and submit accurate reports (weekly updates, field visit reports, monthly project reports and project progress reports) within prescribed guidelines and deadlines to Director of Programmes;
- Maintain accurate records of project activities including trainings, financial expenditure, resource placement, and project participants;
- Document important project activities like placement of animals, POG Ceremonies through photographing and videotaping for fundraising and other purposes;
- Establish and maintain accurate records of productivity of livestock and other enterprises;
- Facilitate value chain development and actor empowerment so that project participants derive optimum benefits from the chain through appropriate enterprise development.
Training and capacity building
- Provide Heifer prescribed trainings and other relevant trainings to project participants in the Blouberg project;
- Develop effective training reinforcement and follow-up strategies for encouraging on-going commitment to training.
Procurement and distribution of project inputs/resources
- Assist groups in procurement of necessary equipment and supplies;
- Prepare for receiving livestock shipment, quarantine and acclimatization measures should livestock shipment take place;
- Assist partner organization with the purchase of livestock where appropriate.
Value chain development
- Map and analyse value chains;
- Build engagements and relationships;
- Develop strategies for chain empowerment;
- Chain monitoring and evaluation.
Administrative and other duties
- Project coordination and financial management;
- Lead and mentor project team for optimum output;
- Responsible for assets and materials under his/her charge;
- Establish and maintain good relationship with livestock and other inputs suppliers and link farmers with such suppliers as need be;
- Liaise with Government departments and other partners in the field in a way that promotes Heifer’s visibility and raises its profile;
- Ensure adherence to Heifer principles and that POGs are done when due.
- Postgraduate Degree in Agriculture, Animal Science, Agricultural Economics, Rural Development or other appropriate and related field, with knowledge in human nutrition;
- Five years working experience in the rural/community development sector with strong project management experience;
- Self-motivated with strong project management and leadership skills;
- Results oriented and capable of coordinating and executing multiple tasks;
- Ability to make decisions and take initiative without close supervision;
- Strong report writing skills with appropriate computer working knowledge (MS word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint);
- Excellent relational and communication skills, with strong verbal and written English abilities and fair working knowledge of local language;
- Ability to facilitate training sessions that effectively build capacity and provide the relevant skills to project participants to manage their animals other enterprises;
- Ability to facilitate value chain development;
- Ability to travel independently within or out of the country;
- Ability to maintain the highest level of honesty and professionalism when dealing with Heifer staff, donors, project participants, and partner organizations;
- Valid driver’s licence code 8.
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of two referees and motivation letter to Human Resources, Heifer International South Africa at email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Should you not hear from Heifer International South Africa within two weeks after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more about Heifer International South Africa, refer to www.heifer.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.