Freedom of Expression Institute
The Freedom of Expression Institute is a nonprofit, non-governmental organisation which was established in 1994 to protect and foster the rights to freedom of expression. In this, the Institute supports the right of equal access to information and knowledge, promotes the right to protest, assembly and gathering, advocates for a free media environment and opposes censorship in all forms.
The Freedom of Expression Institute seeks to appoint an admitted Law Clinic Attorney, based in Richmond, Johannesburg.
This position is a full-time placement on a one-year contract beginning January 2015 to December 2015. The renewal of the contract is based on availability of funding and performance.
Reporting to and working in close cooperation with the Head of the Law Clinic.
- Take instruction and consulting with clients on various freedom of expression matters that are dealt with at the Law Clinic;
- Manage the cases; attending to necessary correspondence, drafting and meetings;
- Appear at Magistrates court where necessary;
- Draft press statements and other public material;
- Research and prepare submissions on legislative and policy documents;
- Organise seminars, workshops and training;
- Other duties as assigned.
- LLB Degree;
- Admission as an attorney with at least two years (post-articles) working experience;
- Experience in Magistrates and High Court litigation;
- Experience in criminal court is beneficial;
- Demonstrated knowledge in human rights and freedom of expression issues;
- Project management skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Computer literate (MS Office supported programmes);
- Valid driver’s licence.
The position will be suitable for an individual who has the ability to work under pressure; to work in a team; has strong focus on deadlines and procedure; and displays assertiveness regarding correct practices and procedures.
To apply, submit a CV (not more than three pages) and a one page letter of motivation to email@example.com, indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line i.e: “Law Clinic Attorney”
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
The Freedom of Expression Institute is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all who meet the requirements stated, regardless of gender, race, class, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or any other form of bias.
The Institute will limit correspondence to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from the Institute within two weeks after the expiry of the application deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about the Freedom of Expression Institute, refer to www.fxi.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.