Foundation for Human Rights
The Foundation for Human Rights (FHR), Braamfontein, Johannesburg, is a grant maker to the human rights sector. It is currently implementing a programme in partnership with the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, which is aimed at strengthening civil society organisations to promote and facilitate increased awareness, respect, protection and fulfillment of the rights contained in the Constitution. The programme prioritises vulnerable and marginalised groups to help address issues of poverty and inequality. This programme is currently funded through the EU Sector Budget Support.
The Foundation seeks to appoint appropriately qualified individuals for its internship programme, based in Braamfontein, Johannesburg.
Duration: 12 months, January 2015 - December 2015.
- Internship Objectives
- Encourage those interested and committed to working in strengthening human rights based approaches to building civil society;
- Contribute to addressing the problems relating to skills shortage, by increasing the skills level of those entering the labour market;
- Improve the chances of employment in the chosen field by enhancing the capacity of the interns, while at the same time and in return, getting some value for the Foundation;
- Contribute to the job-readiness of interns by exposing them to a practical working experience/environment;
- Inculcate human rights values in interns and strive to ensure that such values become part of their work ethic;
- Enhance the capacity of the FHR with an increased number of staff available to take on a range of administrative and programmatic functions.
- Generic management/staff objectives
- Participate actively in assigned programme work, ensuring that systems, processes and outputs are grounded in FHR values;
- Participate in internal communication and teamwork;
- Work within the programme team to ensure the effective implementation of organisation’s objectives;
- As and when required within reason, work beyond the scope of any job description.
- Working knowledge of and commitment to human rights, especially in a South African context;
- A postgraduate degree in social sciences such as: Development Studies, Economics, Political Science, History, Public Policy, Social Science, International Relations, Law and Sociology;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and responsibility for areas of work;
- Fluency in English;
- Additional language skills and project work experience are a plus.
To apply, submit a CV (without certificates), motivational letter and the details of two contactable referees to Yolanda Radu at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 088 011 72 4813 by 12h00.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
For more about the Foundation for Human Rights, refer to www.fhr.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Twitter at http://twitter.com/SANGONeT.