Environmental Monitoring Group (EMG)
The Environmental Monitoring Group (EMG) is a nonprofit environmental organisation based in Cape Town.
EMG is currently involved in a wide range of projects including supporting farmworkers and small-farmers involved in fair trade; research and advocacy around water services; community-based climate change adaptation and more.
EMG seeks to appoint a qualified, experienced and competent part-time Communications Officer, based in Observatory, Cape Town.
The person will hit the ground running… and take responsibility for developing materials, profiling the organisation and training staff in good communication habits and techniques. We see the communications function not just as an advocacy tool or PR/branding exercise. Equally important is how our communication functions help us see and understand the impact of our work more clearly.
- Develop and lead EMG’s communications strategy;
- Research and write case studies;
- Write feature articles and press releases based on EMG project work;
- Edit reports, publications, newsletters, etc;
- Advise on design and layout of publications;
- Maintain EMG’s website (no specific programing skills needed);
- Organise related events eg. Briefings, book-launches, seminars etc;
- Brief and manage media sub-contractors;
- Maintain communications database;
- Liaise with media representatives;
- …. And more!
- Higher education degree/diploma (or equivalent experience) in a communications related field;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Excellent command of English (additional languages an advantage);
- Journalism and print media experience;
- Knowledge of the workings of print media and press contacts;
- Some experience with video production and photography;
- Interest in and broad understanding of, socio- environmental issue;
- Knowledge of new and emerging social media;
- Valid driver’s licence.
You have to be…
- Creative and conceptual thinker;
- Politically astute;
- Self-motivated and able to work well in a loosely structured, team environment;
- Interested in environmental and developmental issues;
- Able to travel and work after-hours and on weekends from time-to-time;
- Emotionally stable and mature adult.
We will get really excited if you also have...
- Prior experience working in an NGO environment;
- Prior experience in communication techniques training;
- Further education or prior work experience in a socio-environmental field;
- Address-book full of good media contacts;
- Portfolio of recent writings and other amazing creative outputs;
- Experience in participatory writing or video techniques.
This is a part-time (50%) on a one-year contract position renewal depending on availability of funds.
Salary: R9 000 - R12 000 per month, depending on your suitability.
To apply, submit a CV (maximum four pages) and letter motivation to Sennica Bacela at email@example.com.
Only applicants shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
For more about Environmental Monitoring Group, refer to www.emg.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.