Demography and Population Studies
The Demography and Populations Studies (DPS) Programme at the University of the Witwatersrand is an academic programme at Honours-Masters and PhD level, with a strong population and reproductive health research orientation, that involves active regional and international academic partnerships, is networked effectively nationally and regionally, and responds to critical population, health and social issues confronting South and sub-Saharan Africa.
The Demography and Populations Studies seeks to recruit Pre-Doctoral Interns, based at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
Several openings exist for energetic Masters graduates with a strong interest in pursuing a PhD in the fields of Demography, Population Studies and related disciplines. The programme seeks to nest candidates with strong quantitative skills and social science perspectives in demography, epidemiology and statistics, in a number of government, academic, research, UN and non-governmental organisations. The focus of the work is to provide critical work environment exposure to recent graduates. This will aid in developing PhD work that is highly relevant to issues being faced both nationally and regionally.
Scope of Work
The internship will involve:
- Gaining and contributing key analytic skills in a variety of environments
- Providing research support to a mentor in the organization
- Developing key communication skills and general work place competencies
- Working on a range of activities as agreed upon by DPS and the organisation where he/she will be nested
- The intern is expected to effectively use their time to develop a key research question that will form the focus of their PhD studies
Responsibilities: The internships are for versatile individuals who can provide analytic support while strengthening their technical competence and overall readiness for a doctoral programme. Responsibilities will include substantial technical involvement in research projects and programmatic implementation in various relevant organisations in South Africa.
- Master’s degree with proven competence in epidemiology, demography or statistics;
- Proficiency in any of the following statistical software packages: Stata, SAS and R;
- Capacity and desire to enroll in DPS PhD Programme in the next two years or shortly often the internship period;
- Some experience in qualitative analysis is beneficial;
- Broad technical competence in the field of demography or relevant disciplines;
- Strong English communication skills;
- Capacity for attention to detail and accuracy;
- Demonstrated readiness to pursue PhD training in demography and its related fields;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and intellectual creativity.
Remuneration: Interns will receive a competitive stipend for the duration of the 6 to 12-month internship and support to apply for DPS PhD programme upon completion of their internships.
Enquiries: Professor Clifford Odimegwu at Clifford.Odimegwu@wits.ac.za.
To apply, submit a CV, official university transcripts, writing sample, contact information of three referees and motivation letter to Julia Mamabolo: Julia.Mamabolo@wits.ac.za.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Demography and Populations Studies, refer to www.wits.ac.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.