Centre for Development and Enterprise (CDE)
The Centre for Development and Enterprise (CDE) is an independent policy research and nonprofit advocacy organisation. It is one of South Africa's leading development think tanks, focusing on critical development issues and their relationship to economic growth and democratic consolidation. Through examining South African realities and international experience, CDE formulates practical policy proposals outlining ways in which South Africa can tackle major social and economic challenges. CDE has a special focus on the role of business and markets in development.
CDE seeks to appoint a Designer/Developer, based in Johannesburg.
The person will provide creative and cost effective design products for CDE’s print and electronic publications and communication.
The person will report to the Director: Strategy, Development and Advocacy. A market-related based on experience will be offered.
- Design & production of all publications and media;
- Production, testing and maintenance of CDE websites;
- Development & maintenance of the Corporate Identity;
- Administration of image files and image library subscriptions;
- Stakeholder management
- Develop & design of interactive electronic communication tools;
- Other reasonable and related tasks that may be assigned from time to time.
- Minimum of three year accredited design qualification - graphic, new media or multi-media;
- Five years in a wide range of design functions e.g. web, electronic, newsletters and print publications;
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) – utilisation of grids of design;
- Expert knowledge of HTML(5) and S(3);
- Working knowledge of Joomla and WordPress Content Management Systems;
- Good project and time management skills;
- Current online portfolio of design, web and print.
- Photography skills;
- Basic videography skills;
- Eight years work experience in a wide range of design functions e.g. web, electronic, newsletters and print publications;
- Experience in developing communication tools including, but not limited to data visualisation, info graphics, video shorts and podcast would be a distinct advantage.
- Highly capable in Adobe Creative Suite software CS5 (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign);
- A relevant three year design qualification or equivalent work experience;
- Ability to operate on a PC platform;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office;
- Knowledge of design and printing workflow.
- Design flair;
- Delivery of high quality work at all times;
- Easy going, able to take criticism and use it positively;
- Ability to work unsupervised;
- Demonstrating initiative;
- High levels of energy;
- Calm approach;
- Emotional intelligence and well developed life skills.
Other competencies and experience
- Contributor to team success;
- Ability to build effective working relationships;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Strong pro-active customer service and quality orientation.
The Centre for Development and Enterprise reserves the right not to make an appointment.
To apply, submit a brief CV (no portfolios) and one-page motivation letter setting out your interest in and suitability for the job and contact details of three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open to all South African Citizens.
Correspondence will be entered into with shortlisted candidates only whereupon we will then request your portfolio. Original proof of academic qualifications will be required from shortlisted candidates.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Centre for Development and Enterprise, refer to www.cde.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.