Centre for Conflict Resolution
The Centre for Conflict Resolution (CCR) is an independent, non-governmental pan-African organisation, based in Cape Town, South Africa. Over the past 47 years, it has worked continentally to promote constructive, creative, and co-operative approaches to the resolution of conflicts and the reduction of violence. It has produced ground-breaking research on African security and governance issues, has conducted extensive capacity-building training, and facilitated and mediated peace processes across Africa.
CCR seeks to appoint a Librarian, based in Cape Town.
- Manage the various collections in the CCR Peace Library;
- Manage information retrieval from the CCR Peace Library and other libraries;
- Promote the CCR Peace Library to internal and external users;
- Educate clients on the use of the CCR Peace Library;
- Manage a professional library catalogue;
- Manage the administrative responsibilities of the CCR Peace Library;
- Assist in the implementation of CCR’s communications strategy;
- Assist with targeted CCR book sales and follow up on royalties;
- Assist with the distribution of CCR books and publications; and
- Promote CCR books in libraries and other targeted institutions.
- A Library and Information Science qualification such as BBibl, BTech (Library and Information Studies) or PG Dip (Library and Information Science) and a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Arts or Humanities;
- At least five years experience working in an academic or special library, including Practical experience in library technical services (i.e. acquisitions and cataloguing), reference work, and library software programmes (i.e. Inmagic DB/Text);
- Knowledge of international library conventions such as Anglo American Cataloguing Rules (AACR2), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), and Dewey Decimal Classification System (DDC);
- Advanced research skills;
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Computer literacy (MS Office, Internet search engines, and content management systems);
- Exceptional attention to detail;
- Excellent organisational skills; and
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Working or academic background in conflict management, human rights, African studies or Sociology;
- Previous working experience within a communications department;
- Member of a professional library group, e.g. Special Libraries Interest Group (LISLIG) of Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA); and
- Drivers licence and own car.
This position involves national and international travel.
To apply, submit:
- Comprehensive CV;
- Unpublished writing sample of about 10 pages; and
- Letter of application motivating why you believe you are suitable for the post,
to Mr. Fritz Brand and Ms. Raygana Davids in the Human Resources Cluster at CCR at email@example.com.
Please head your application “Vacancy” – followed by the position you are applying for – followed by your name. Kindly indicate the source of the advertisement you are responding to.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Centre for Conflict Resolution, refer to www.ccr.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.