Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA)
The Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA) is a nonprofit organisation set up to fight cancer and offer support to cancer sufferers.
CANSA seeks to appoint a Regional Manager, based in Upington Kalahari SBU, Northern Cape.
The person will lead the fight against cancer in South Africa. S/he will manage and provide leadership in order to mobilise, develop and sustain the region to ensure delivery on CANSA’s purpose and mission.
Human resources management
- Formulate a regional action plan that supports the Unit’s objectives and targets;
- Recruitment, selection, orientation and training of staff;
- Allocation of job descriptions and scorecards;
- Performance Management (oversee performance of staff, identify and address performance related issues);
- Lead, support, empower (skills development) and guide staff;
- Present professional image;
- Counter corruption and malpractices;
- Ensure sound labour relations;
- Brand managers to be brand custodians in the region;
- Ensure adherence to organisational policies and procedures-including risk management;
- Act as custodian for all new processes, systems and practises;
- Ensure future development of talent in the region;
- Good understanding of geographical area of work to enable identification of opportunities, etc;
- Active contribution towards achievement of the Unit’s goals;
- Timeous and quality reporting as per set standards;
- Ensure utilisation of technology where possible and encourage others to do so;
- Human capital management.
- Networking: internally and externally with relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure service excellence to all clients;
- Maintain consistent client / volunteer focus;
- Establishment and management of governance structures;
- Ensure integration of functionalities;
- Oversee completion of community profiles;
- Analyse community needs and potential to generate income;
- Compile and implement an action plan to penetrate communities and ensure active involvement in the fight against cancer;
- Oversee the practical arrangements for ensuring that people from all sections of the community are actively involved and contributing towards the development of structures;
- Recruit, train, empower and guide community volunteer committees to effectively cancer control, income development and advocacy goals as contracted;
- Oversee the recruitment, training, coordination, motivation and recognition of diverse volunteers for all assigned activities;
- Manage and support lead volunteers to achieve organisational fundraising results and meet service delivery targets by ensuring lead volunteers recruit, train, and co-ordinate, motivate a diverse volunteer corps for all assigned community activities;
- Manage contracted commission based community member(s) to whom large-scale events are assigned;
- Maintain and strengthen staff and volunteer partnership;
- Implement standardised processes for volunteer management and development;
- Ensure adhering to CANSA standards, policies and procedures in all CANSA community structures.
- Ensure attainment of financial and service target;
- Logistic and operational management in area of responsibility inclusive of cost containment;
- Financial management;
- Track progress with regards to business plan and budget and implement corrective actions;
- Identify income generating opportunities within the community
- Formulate an action plan to utilise community structures for income development;
- Introduce CANSA’s national programmes and ensure in depth understanding of objectives and standards with regard to these programmes;
- Influence and facilitate the initiation of community based fund raising activities including the national programmes;
- Network with influential role players within community to enhance/support the achievement of goals;
- Adhere to standards and best practices for all income generating activities;
- Ensure all assigned events are achieving required benchmark standards;
- Constantly evaluate and better community events according to CANSA’s best practices;
- To equip and guide committees to effectively achieve sustainability targets;
- Ensure all programmes and projects achieve targets within the related timelines;
- Ensure complete and accurate information is captured and reported to appropriate databases in accordance with established timelines;
- Present a professional image both internally and externally;
- Stay abreast of knowledge and skills relevant to income development.
- Strengthen Patient care, Health programmes and Fund development through CANSA’s community model, standardisation and sharing of best practices to improve services and access to all communities:
- Recruitment and establishment of Community structures – Liaison committees comprising of health promotion, patient care and fundraising volunteers;
- Training, coordination, motivation and recognition of diverse volunteers for all assigned activities;
- Ensuring that all Health Campaigns are implemented according to national and provincial standards and business plans (Objectives and Targets);
- Oversee the implementation of a holistic Home Based Care service to patients and families;
- Oversee the implementation of Health Promotion Campaigns according to CANSA’s health calendar to raise awareness about the prevention and early detection of cancer;
- Oversee implementation of Health Promotion to be done by means of: distribution of pamphlets, posters, CD’s, booklets, print articles, newsletters and radio talks, health talks, exhibitions, health camps, symposia and workplace agreements;
- Oversee the implementation of Early Detection Programs: Cervical screening (Pap smears), clinical breast examinations, skin cancer and life style risk assessments;
- Complete Patient and volunteer surveys from time to time to determine satisfaction with CANSA’s work methods and models;
- Capacitate stakeholders and professional volunteers to improve service delivery to communities;
- Ensure that Admin is maintained according to CANSA policies – completion of prescribed forms to be used in CANSA’s Home Based Care programme, Signing off of monthly Dashboards (statistics and sustainability), Quarterly reports, Health Promotion Campaign planning format, record keeping as per Audit requirements etc;
- Enhance and influence the image of CANSA through an effective marketing and communication strategy to create top-of-mind awareness of value propositions thereby achieving the preferred no-profit leader status;
- Maximise advocacy role to ensure CANSA becomes the number one watchdog on all cancer affairs in region.
Cancer Care Centres
- Ensure the establishment of Cancer Care Centres in region
- Ensure quality of services and compliance to ethical and clinical/health standards;
- Attainment of contracted income target to ensure sustainability of the centre;
- Ensure proper staffing of the centre by utilising external resources;
- Human capital management: recruitment, training, performance management, etc.
Key Performance Areas
- Management of operations, targets and subordinates;
- Display leadership skills;
- Provide and educational/training service to Cancer survivors/patients;
- Responsible for raising funds;
- Project manage various initiatives;
- Ensure compliance with HR governance.
- Organisational Leadership: Understands purpose, mission, ethics, governance and administrative systems of organisation and able to gather and synthesize information on internal and external environments;
- Collaboration: Adept in coalition building, and able to establish collaborative relationships and projects;
- Interpersonal abilities/personal characteristics: Ability to work well in teams, self-motivated, understands conflict management, able negotiator, confident in handling new tasks, flexible in assignments, attentive to detail, able to work under tight deadlines and able to network effectively;
- Delivering results and meeting stakeholder expectations: Focussing on stakeholders’ satisfaction, setting high standards for quality and quantity and consistently achieving set goals;
- Communications skills: Effective in public presentations, able to facilitate groups, understands grant and proposal writing and able to write reports;
- Planning skills: Able to do operational planning and knowledgeable about project management principles ;
- Computer skills: Proficient knowledge and skills in Microsoft Office software, Internet based applications and computer equipment;
- Qualification in health and welfare Management, business administration or similar and proven experience of management at senior level;
- Business acumen, be fully competent in all Microsoft Office applications, time management, human resources management, excellent communication, presentation and networking skills;
- Proven experience and knowledge in the non-profit sector;
- English and any other official language;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Own transport;
- Availability to travel;
Salary: Negotiable within CANSA’s grading scales.
Starting date: 1 August 2014 or sooner (Pending availability).
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about CANSA, refer to www.cansa.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.