Anova Health Institute
Anova Health Institute is a leading partner in capacity building and the provision of technical support to the Department of Health, with a reputation for innovative responses and ground-breaking research in HIV. Anova is primarily funded by the President's Emergency Fund for AIDS relief (PEPFAR) through the United States Agency for Development (USAID).
Anova Health Institute seeks to appoint a Clinical Programme Specialist, based in Parktown, Johannesburg.
The Clinical Programme Specialist will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Clinical Programme Specialist will provide medical, clinical and relevant public health expertise to lead aspects of Anova’s technical support work in district programmes across South Africa. The Clinical Programme Specialist will be responsible for leading the clinical aspects of a comprehensive health programme, working closely with Anova’s health systems strengthening activities and research endeavours.
- Provide strategic direction, technical guidance, and leadership on clinical programmes, with a special focus on HIV and TB, but also including consideration of non-communicable diseases and sexual and reproductive health;
- Work with Anova’s district programme managers and technical advisors to assist district health services in providing innovative, effective, relevant and sustainable clinical programmes;
- Participate in national and provincial level policy processes, and will ensure high-level medical expertise from Anova to South African government partners at all levels of the health services;
- Comprehensive knowledge of HIV and TB prevention, care and treatment is required;
- Experience in HIV biomedical prevention strategies including counseling and testing, medical male circumcision, and other emerging biomedical prevention approaches;
- Knowledge of the South African health care system and structures and is familiar with Department of Health policies, programme priorities and regulations; Research experience and a publication track record is desirable;
- Regular travel to Anova offices in other provinces;
- Work independently, make programme recommendations, and take initiative;
- Communication abilities, demonstrated management and leadership skills, and a vision for future innovative approaches to healthcare improvements.
- Medical Degree with a postgraduate qualification in Public Health or a related field is required;
- Registration with the HPCSA;
- Ten years’ experience in planning and managing health programmes;
- Expertise in HIV and AIDS, STIs, TB issues and priorities in South Africa;
- Experience working with South African National and Provincial Departments of Health;
- Experience is required in developing, implementing and evaluating HIV or other public health programmes that involve coordination with an international agency or implementing partners, particularly within the PEPFAR funding environment;
- Experience supervising the work of other staff or consultants;
- In-depth knowledge of the South African public health sector, and in strategies and techniques used to plan, develop, implement and evaluate results of care and support programmes is desired;
- Initiative, and the ability to develop and carry out work plans, and solve problems independently;
- Command of English, with demonstrated excellent writing and reporting skills;
- Ability to participate in, facilitate and present at project meetings and in public forums;
- Commitment to building personal and organisational capacity;
- Experience in training healthcare workers;
- Ability to communicate between colleagues with a variety of cultural backgrounds in a respectful and diplomatic manner;
- Ability to enhance effective professional partnerships;
- Organisational, electronic file management and computer skills including MS Office;
- Ability to travel to Anova offices outside Johannesburg on a regular basis;
- Required outputs with short timelines may necessitate work outside of normal office hours.
To apply, submit a CV and motivational letter to Mandi Shale at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Anova Health Institute, refer to www.anovahealth.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.