The Afrobarometer is an independent, non-partisan research project that measures the social, political and economic atmosphere in Africa through public attitude surveys. The Afrobarometer Network comprises more than 35 partner organizations that conduct field research, and analyse and publicize results to media and government and non-government policy makers, as well as ordinary citizens.
The Afrobarometer public attitude surveys give voice to ordinary Africans in policy-making processes on the continent, so communicating Afrobarometer survey findings to the policy community and beyond is a core objective of the Network.
The Afrobarometer seeks to appoint a Web Content Manager. The location is flexible.
The person will maintain the organisation its English and French websites, and oversee an upcoming website re-design, with the goals of helping users access, understand and use Afrobarometer data and findings, increasing the network’s visibility, and building relationships with key NGO and policy organizations across Africa and the rest of the world.
The web content manager will work remotely as a contractor, reporting to the Afrobarometer Operations Manager for Communication who is based in Accra, Ghana.
The person will oversee the re-design and management of Afrobarometer's website, a role providing the contractor with an opportunity to work in a global environment and experiment with new approaches to managing both databases and data-rich content.
The successful candidate will have significant experience in overseeing website design, managing websites, and shaping web content to the needs of users. S/he will have a general understanding of website architecture and design, usability, and search engine optimisation.
- Managing and updating, on a daily basis, both the French and English versions of the Afrobarometer website, including:
- Working in collaboration with communications manager, communications officers, publication manager and others in the network to produce daily content and ensure a constant flow of new materials for the website
- Formatting and finalizing some content for posting, such as press releases and other documents
- Managing the redesign of the Afrobarometer website in collaboration with the communications manager and members of the website redesign committee, including specifically:
- Consulting with members of the network and stakeholders to identify key goals and attributes of the re-designed website
- Researching platforms and development options and advising the committee
- Developing Terms of Reference and a Request for Bids for a developer and/or designer
- Coordinating the review and selection process for a designer
- Overseeing the work of the developer and/or designer
- Ensuring that new website incorporates a plan for Search Engine Optimization
- Identifying options for website hosting, coordinating selection process for same, and managing the offsite hosting and technical maintenance of the website
- Initiating ideas and plans for new web or mobile tools, and working with developers to build them
- Expanding web traffic, downloads, & citations, particularly from Africa, and increasing web traffic from policy and political web sites and audiences
- Identifying, in collaboration with the communications team, new opportunities in social media, crowd funding and use of other web-based tools to expand web communications and outreach
- Contributing to Afrobarometer’s social media presence (including Facebook, Twitter, Flikr, Pinterest, and blog pages)
- Tracking and reporting, on a quarterly basis, usage and reach of the website and social media.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in digital media or a related field is expected;
- Minimum of five years of experience in website management and management of website design processes; experience working remotely with website and content developers is an advantage;
- Ability to communicate technical details and content goals to both designers and non-specialists is essential;
- General understanding of the capabilities of different website development platforms, and the principles of search engine optimisation;
- Portfolio of managed sites that demonstrates an understanding of content needs and challenges and an ability to assess and meet stakeholder needs;
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading abilities;
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work in an international, multicultural environment;
- Good organisation skills, including ability to track multiple projects and activities and post related web content in a timely fashion; ability to work to deadlines;
- French language skills are highly desirable;
This is a one-year contract position with the possibility of renewal. The contractor's hours will depend on the workload. We anticipate approximately a half-time position, but the time commitment during the initial website redesign phase may be more.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a CV, writing sample and portfolio of web sites managed to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The hiring process may include a writing test and/or a problem-solving exercise.
For more about the Afrobarometer, refer to www.afrobarometer.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.