The vision of ActionAid International is a world without poverty in which every person can exercise their right to a life of dignity.
Actiona Aid International seeks to appoint a Public Financing for Agriculture, based in Johannesburg, South Africa or Nairobi, Kenya.
This is a fixed-term contract until September 2014. Local Terms and Conditions of Employment will apply.
The person will ensure successful implementation of ActionAid’s three year multi-country funded contract “Public Financing for Agriculture” which ends in September 2014. The project aims to strengthen the capacity of farmer federations and women’s organisations in Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and Uganda to engage with government entities at the local, regional and national level with a view to:
- publicising the levels and line items in current agricultural budgets
- assessing the effectiveness of these budgets and allocations, and
- Advocating for public financing for agriculture that is more targeted to the specific needs of smallholders and women farmers.
The project will aggregate national level research findings in these four countries for use in advocacy in support of increased investment in agriculture that benefits women smallholders at the African Union and in the United States.
Key responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Overall management and delivery of the project within the agreed proposal at the IS and closely with the AAUSA Contracts and Grants Manager and Senior Policy Analyst to achieve these outcomes;
- Support to country leads in delivering advocacy goals: - Work together with four country level Project Managers (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Nigeria) to deliver the advocacy objectives as laid out in the project proposal;
- Coordinate internal and external evaluations in collaboration with Evaluation and Accountability Unit and International Center for Research on Women (ICRW).
- Relevant degree;
- Minimum of five years experience of working on multi-country advocacy and coalition-building, ideally in a non-profit setting and/or dealing with development, social justice or human rights issues;
- Minimum of five years experience in framing complex policy and advocacy positions in dynamic language and formats that will appeal to broader public (i.e. academic background alone not sufficient);
- Detail-oriented, with wide-ranging interests and learning in development issues;
- Good sense of how research/policy products contribute to successful campaign strategies, and creative ideas on how to accomplish this;
- Strong analytical abilities;
- Able to write for a range of different external audiences (e.g.media, decision-makers, allies), and to engage and persuade in face-to-face settings;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, ability to inform and engage through written communication, including strong editing skills;
- High capacity for work output in order to meet tight deadlines and multiple priorities;
- Strong commitment to develop, promote and practice AAI’s vision, mission, values, and strategy.
Further more information and full job description, refer to www.actionaid.org/jobs.
Base Salary GBP £31 617.
To apply, submit a CV, motivation cover letter and two names of your nominated referees to email@example.com. Clearly indicate which position you are applying for. We respect all candidates but we can only respond to shortlisted candidates.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Although all applications will be considered on their individual merit, suitably qualified women are especially encouraged to apply.
For more about ActionAid International, refer to www.actionaid.org/?intl=.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.