ACTION Support Centre (ASC)
The ACTION Support Centre is a nonprofit Organisation and the Africa Regional Hub of a global network of individuals and organisations committed to positive ACTION to transform conflict.
Through the Solidarity and Transformation Agenda (STA), the ACTION Support Centre seeks to promote and strengthen initiatives that recognize that building a regional culture of people-to-people solidarity, centred around the principles that freedoms are indivisible, requires a collective coordinated effort from individuals and organisations committed to sustainable peace, participatory democracy and the promotion and defence of human and people’s rights.
The ACTION Support Centre seeks to appoint a Regional Networking and Solidarity Organiser, based in Richmond, Johannesburg.
This is a unique opportunity for a committed and hardworking individual that will involve extensive travel across the Southern Africa.
The Regional Networking and Solidarity Organiser will take forward and strengthen people to people solidarity initiatives that fall under the Solidarity and Transformation Agenda (STA) of the ASC. The incumbent will report to the Steering Committee Representative and be accountable to the ASC collective.
This is a full-time, one-year contract position, renewable subject to availability of funds and outcomes of the performance review.
- Organise solidarity workshops;
- Establish new and strengthen existing regional working groups;
- Provide on-going support to the established and emerging solidarity forums in Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Malawi, Democratic Republic Congo (DRC), Zambia and Zimbabwe;
- Overall coordination of regional solidarity actions;
- Coordinate and provide support to the Zimbabwe Solidarity Forum steering committee;
- Facilitate publication of ZSF research work;
- Identify campaigns and action focused initiatives that will profile ZSF’s work;
- Build a ZSF media profile through the use of the mainstream media and other alternative forms of media such as social networks;
- Participate in strategic solidarity platforms including support and engagement with complementary solidarity initiatives;
- Build and expand the ZSF and STA network;
- Strengthen and contribute to ASC internal Programmes;
- University degree in development, political science, international relations, applied conflict transformation studies and or equivalent experience and studies in related fields;
- Minimum of five years of experience working on similar initiatives or in a position with similar responsibilities;
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing;
- Strong knowledge of human and people’s rights principles and mechanisms;
- Advances skills in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in leadership training programmes, networking, mobilising and organisational skills;
- Social media experience;
- Experience in research and writing on human rights and solidarity issues;
- Ability to coordinate group activities and to interact successfully with and motivate a diverse group of individuals;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in problem solving and decision making;
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times;
- Experience of living and/or working in the SADC Region preferred.
- French and Portuguese language skills desirable
To apply, submit a CV and a one and half page motivational letter with remuneration history and desired remuneration to email@example.com. Only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Only candidates who have been selected for the interview will be contacted. If you do not hear from ACTION Support Centre within a week from the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about the ACTION Support Centre, refer to www.asc.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.