African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD)
The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) is a South African-based civil society institution working throughout Africa to bring creative African solutions to the challenges posed by conflict on the continent. ACCORD’s primary aim is to influence political developments by bringing conflict resolution, dialogue and institutional development to the forefront as an alternative to armed violence and protracted conflict. ACCORD specialises in conflict management, analysis and prevention and intervenes in conflicts through mediation, negotiation, training, research and conflict analysis.
The Knowledge Production Department (KPD) is the research pillar of ACCORD, KPD aims to establish ACCORD as a positive and constructive learning organisation that enhances policy, research and practice in the fields of conflict management and resolution.
The department seeks to recruit two Research Interns for the period February to July 2015, to be based at ACCORD’s head office in Durban, South Africa.
KPD research interns are expected to provide the department with the following support: research assistance (60% of time and expected outputs), administration (20%), and project management (20%).
The overall tasks of a KPD Research Intern include, but are not limited to, the following:
- carry out desktop research as part of a conflict tracking, monitoring and analysis project focusing on developments relating to peace, security and development in Africa, preparing presentations and outcomes reports on a weekly basis;
- provide research assistance for departmental research projects in the areas of preventive action and peacebuilding, institutions and processes of peacemaking; peacekeeping, social cohesion in post-conflict settings and conflict analysis, among others;
- carry out literature surveys and compile bibliographies and recommended reading lists in relation to the departments’ research outputs;
- draft website articles, meeting minutes and reports;
- contribute to drafting concept notes, project and funding proposals;
- assist the department in identifying possible research areas based on expertise and the surveying of current trends in the field;
- conceptualise a short-term research project and author a paper for potential publication with ACCORD;
- contribute to the implementation of KPD activities (publications, capacity strengthening activities, seminars, internal reporting, and thematic events);
- attend internal and external workshops, seminars and meetings, as and when required;
- provide ad hoc research, administrative and project management support.
- Hold, or currently pursue, a post-graduate degree in peace and security studies, international relations, conflict resolution, African studies, development studies or in a related field of study;
- Have some prior work experience related to peace, conflict and/or development (e.g. internship with a think tank or work experience with an NGO);
- Have a very good verbal and written command of English. Others language skills, i.e. French, Portuguese and/or Arabic are an added advantage;
- Be proficient in using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
- Bring excellent research and writing skills;
- Be highly motivated, analytically rigorous, thorough and reliable.
Submit a motivation letter, CV (with three contactable referees), and 1500 word writing sample on a subject related to peace and security (all in English) with INT-KPD-ACCORD in the subject line to email@example.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
In an effort to build African capacity, scholars from Africa are strongly encouraged to apply.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
For more about ACCORD, refer to www.accord.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.