JASS believes that women who are most affected by the political, economic, environmental and health crises reverberating across the world are on the frontlines of change. While they rarely have a seat at the decision-making table, they are organizing their communities, developing solutions and promoting justice often at great risk for going against the grain. As a global women-led human rights network of activists, popular educators and scholars in 31 countries, we work to ensure women leaders are more confident, better organized, louder and safer as they take on some of the most critical human rights issues of our time.
Based in South Africa (preferably Johannesburg or Cape Town) – JASS seeks to appoint a
FINANCE AND OPERATIONS MANAGER
The position will report to and work in close collaboration with the Regional Director to coordinate and oversee all finance and administrative functions of our growing regional operations in Southern Africa, comprising a team of full-time staff and several consultants in a number of countries in the region. The position will report to the SNA Regional Director for oversight and strategic import and to the Director of Operations and Strategic Effectiveness, on technical areas to ensure that regional systems, policies and procedures are in place and in line with JASS SNA’s mission and strategy, South African law, as well as JASS’ overall policies and procedures.
The Finance and Operations Manager will be responsible for the following duties:
- Oversee all regional financial activities including general accounting, auditing, cost accounting, budgeting, budgetary controls, financial analysis and forecast, sub-grants, cash flow management and monitoring, all necessary fiscal grant close-out activities including final reports and financial statements;
- Supervise financial assistant/bookkeeper (based in Cape Town office).
- Implement statutory and regulatory reporting for the South Africa registered non-profit entity, ensuring compliance with local legal, audit and tax requirements;
- Work with regional staff and partners to prepare operations and activity budgets;
- Ensure timesheets are prepared to support allocation to projects, process on a monthly basis;
- Prepare and review monthly reports vs. budgets and submit reports to DC office in line with the agreed timetables,
- Working with the Senior Accountant, assist in the preparation of budgets and reports to donors, ensuring accurate compilation of grant-specific financial statements and reports in the region, ensuring compliance and transparency of grant activity; Coordinate the preparation and submission of grant draw-down requests and other financial reports as required.
- Support development of integrated multi-regional finance and operations team by taking on cross-regional duties where appropriate.
- Support where necessary the legal registration process of JASS SNA as a non-profit organization including working with legal and other consultants to ensure compliance with South African law;
The Finance and Operations Manager must meet the following criteria:
- Proactive self-starter, enjoys working with teams, with attention to detail and ability to manage competing demands.
- Affinity for improving organizational finance, operations procedures, creating efficient systems, and instituting organizational knowledge.
- Understanding and experience of integrating finance and program.
- Excellent (English) written and oral communication (including virtually), presentation and negotiation skills, and a demonstrated capacity to address issues transparently and directly
- Supports and is able to leverage diversity as an organizational strength.
- Effective at proactively assessing and resolving conflicts
- Ability to absorb and deal with complexity quickly.
- Good fit with JASS’ values and culture.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday, 15th October 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org