Common Good is a Christian faith-based, not-for-profit organisation founded by Common Ground Church in 2005, working in a range of communities. We're passionate about addressing issues of socia justice that challenge our city.We seek to make a positive and lasting impact in the areas of early life, education and employment, so that individuals and communities across Cape Town can build brighter futures for themselves.
The successful individual will be responsible for the following duties, which are not limited to:
- Act as the first point of contact for all finance related questions
- Overall management of the organisations finance, planning, cost efficiency, reporting and analytics, and financial planning strategies for all of the organisation’s programmes.
- Assist in conducting financial modelling to support and govern all programmes.
- Ensure compliance of financial and administrative guidelines and procedures
- Ensure all financial policies are up to date and implemented
- Provide financial training where required
Statutory and General Reporting:
- Management of all Common Good’s financial accounting and reporting systems
- Monitoring all operating and capital expenditure for all projects within Common Good
- Compiling, reviewing and distributing monthly financial reports for all projects within Common Good
- Ensuring the financial reporting requirements for all Common Good’s funding agreements are timeously adhered to.
- Assist the Leadership Team with formulation and implementation of financial reports and scaling projects
- Variance Analysis Income Statement and Balance Sheet
- Ensuring all legislative requirements for Common Good are met and all required returns are submitted on time
- Assist with Preparation for Board meetings and presentation report of financial information for Board meetings
- Preparation of the monthly Finance Pack to the Board Finance Committee; focusing on sustainability and going concern assessments
- Managing the annual Income Riverbank and Budgeting Process
- Managing, compiling and maintaining accurate project budgets and forecasts for all Common Good projects
- Working with the CEO to ensure accurate forecasting
- Preparation and overall responsibility for the annual audit and of the annual financial statements
- Be the main Liaison with the external auditors
- Balance Sheet and Income statement schedules
- Variance Analysis Income Statement and Balance Sheet
- Ensuring the integrity of the company’s financial systems
General Accounting and Taxation:
- Overseeing Petty cash control
- Manage monthly cash flow requirements
- Understanding and raising of accruals, provision, and repayments
- Reviewing the Monthly Shared Cost Journal
- Full-function accounts payable
- Reconciling and maintaining Income received in advance
- Reviewing VAT 201prepation, reconciliation and submission
- Review, analysis and improvement of finance processes.
- Supplying the HR team with financial information for all HR requirements
- Reviewing monthly payroll and submitting the required statutory payroll returns
- Posting Monthly Payroll Journals to the Accounting System and generating the shared payroll cost journals for the Power BI system
- Form part of the Common Good leadership team, contributing to organisational vision, mission, strategy and leadership
- Lead and manage the finance team (Bookkeeper and the Junior Accountant).
- Conduct one-on-ones and performance reviews with team members, scoping roles and defining KPA’s clearly.
- Build and maintain relationships with team leaders of each Common Good initiative.
- Attend School Governing Body meetings in the position of school treasurer
- Cash flow management including cash flow forecasting and analysis
- Regulating school spending based on budget allocations and in compliance with finance policies.
- Reviewing and overseeing the accounting function as well as the reporting of the collaboration schools’ financials.
- BComm Accounting Degree/ BCompt
- Completed articles with minimum 5 years financial management experience essential
- CA (SA) Advantageous
- Willingness to contribute to the values and ethos of Common Good is essential.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and bookkeeping programs
- Sound understanding of VAT, PAYE and company statutory requirements
- Experience and understanding of financial and payroll processes and systems
- Strong financial/costing/accounting and analytical skills
- Financial Reporting and Budgeting
- Financial statements
- Relationship management with key stakeholders
- Working knowledge of latest accounting standards and interpretations essential
- Knowledge of Sage Evolution and Microsoft Power BI advantageous
COMPETENCIES AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent interpersonal skills & the ability to develop positive working relationships with individuals & teams essential
- Highly proactive with good self-leadership
- Advanced problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Resilient and open to working with various personalities
- Competent communicator
- Approachable and trustworthy
- Mature and responsible attitude towards work with the ability to take ownership of projects
- Ability to successfully multi-task & manage financial projects across all of Common Good’s diverse projects
- Adaptable to new projects and requirements
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent time management & organisational skills
NB! Your own transport is essential, as travel will be required to offsite locations.
To apply, please send a motivational cover letter, your CV and two recent work references to email@example.com by 18 October 2021
REF: Indicate the job title in the subject line
NOTE: An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment.
Applicants who fail to meet the minimum requirements will be automatically disqualified from consideration. Applicants who do not receive a reply within 3 weeks of submission should
deem their application to have been unsuccessful. We reserve the right not to fill the position.