The Message Trust South Africa
The Message Trust South Africa exists to raise up generations of urban heroes, creating opportunities for tens of thousands of urban teenagers and young adults to hear the good news of Jesus in word and demonstrated in action
The Message Trust S.A seeks to appoint a Head of Prisons and Enterprise to be based in Message South Africa HQ - Mowbray, Cape Town .
The Head of Prison and Enterprise is a senior leadership position within The Message Trust South Africa. You will serve on the executive team as a junior executive member, representing the Prison and Enterprise stream, and ensuring strategic and effective communication with the rest of the executive team. Your role is to facilitate the strategic growth and strengthening of the Prison and
Enterprise stream in line with the objectives of the organisation
Hours: Full Time (40 hours per week)
Salary: Package to be Discussed in Interview
Start Date: 1 Nov 2021
Date Amended: NA
Responsible to: CEO
Summary of main purpose of the job:
Member of the Executive Team:
- Attend monthly executive team meeting to represent the Prison and Enterprise stream and collaborate with the other stream leaders.
- Contribute to the development of long-term strategic plans for The Message South Africa and to actively seek the resources and financial support necessary for the sustainable growth of the organisation.
- To represent the organisation at relevant conferences, events and to accept speaking engagements that will contribute to the growth, network and impact of The Message
- Prepare monthly report and an annual report on the Prison and Enterprise stream for our Annual General Meeting and Annual report.
- To provide oversight and support of all direct and indirect reports within Prison and Enterprise stream.
- Coordinate a monthly Prison and Enterprise stream meeting for all staff within the department.
Finance and Fundraising:
• To work with the CEO and Finance Department to:
o prepare and manage the Prison and Enterprise Budget.
o develop and implement a fundraising strategy to support the Prison and Enterprise Stream, and related projects.
- To attract corporate partners to invest through CSI and Enterprise Development funding
- To build strong relationships and agreements with Correctional Services
- To seek to raise donations from high worth individuals and through networking
- To initiate yearly fundraising events for the department to help meet funding targets.
- Manage the prison team leader and build team to run all training requirements
- To manage and initiate all policies for staff safely in working with ex-offenders
- To manage OAKS halfway home parents and OAKS programme
- To build partnerships with other like-minded prison ministries
- To manage the Gangstar Café manager
- To oversee Gangstar growth and look at opportunities to open new cafes
- To manage all high-level partnerships
- To look for ED and Supplier Development funding for cafes
- Oversee the performance of the Prison and Enterprise team, ensuring systems are in place for monitoring performance and taking timely corrective action whenever necessary
- Overseeing training initiatives for the development of staff and volunteers within the team with a view to long-term retention of existing staff and attracting new team members
- Attendance at prayer days in Message HQ on a monthly basis.
- Regular line management meetings with CEO
- Regular line management meetings with Prison and Gangstar Managers
- Increase the support base of Message across Cape Town, both in prayer supporters and financial supporters
- Participate in Message Sunday’s – sharing stories of gospel transformation
- Network with other ministries in the Cape Town
- To attend monthly Message Trust prayer days
- To attend weekly devotions on Tuesday’s mornings
- Support with Key Message Events, including prayer days, devotions, and other major events
- To hold at least a degree in business management or organizational leadership/development
- Driver’s license and own vehicle
- Clear strategic vision
- Energy and business acumen, innovation and entrepreneurial skills.
- Open and sharing approach to working in partnership with the Executive Team
- Good leadership, team-building, motivational and staff management skills.
- Able to balance financial and non-financial objectives, analyse information, make sound judgements, appraise performance and manage risk.
- Strong in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Teams
- Networking, influencing/promotional and negotiating skills.
- Able to develop and sustain public and voluntary sector partnerships.
- Strong self-motivation.
- A “hands-on” attitude, able to roll-up sleeves and pitch-in with practical task delivery.
- Successful management track record including change and innovation.
Have a good reputation for displaying the following characteristics:
- Identification with the Trust’s Statement of Values and Ethos.
- Commitment to Child Protection, Equality & Diversity, and Health & Safety.
- Personal integrity and commitment to working as part of a team.
- The post-holder will be expected to enter fully into The Message Trust team life, including morning prayers, monthly prayer days and evening prayer meetings.
- Good communication skills
- Able to take initiative
- Good communicator
- Dependable and Loyal
- Adaptable and flexible with problem-solving approach
- Able to take constructive criticism
- Able to hold own counsel
- Outgoing disposition
- Respect for authority
- Absolute discretion with members of the opposite sex
- Operate in an anti-discriminatory way
- Ability to follow and carry out set administrative tasks/assignments
- Ability to initiate within agreed parameters
- Able to adapt quickly and take responsibility when required to
- Ability to diffuse confrontational behaviour & deal with conflict
- Ability to drive with own transport
The post holder must be a committed Christian who believes in the Lordship of Christ and the authority of scripture, and who wants to see the Chrsitian message communicated effectively to young people. Applicants should be able to articulate a clear vision for their role within the work of The Message, particularly with reference to their ability to function within the framework of its Mission, Vision, Ethos and Values
The successful candidate for this post will be asked to apply for a Police Clearance.
Any information relating to people contacted by the Trust acquired in the course of duty must be treated in strictest confidence and must be discussed only within the confines of the work setting with the appropriate members of staff.
Any information relating to staff acquired in the course of duty must be treated in the strictest confidence and must be discussed only with senior staff members or with the line manager.
This job description is not exhaustive and amendments and additions may be required in line with future organisational changes.
Please submit your CV and a one page motivational letter to email@example.com by 18th October. If you do not hear back within a week you can consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about Message Trust South Africa, refer to www.message.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies