Action Volunteers Africa
Action Volunteers Africa (AVA) is a non-profit organisation which has been working in the field of youth development, since 2012. AVA’s innovative programmes contribute to resolving the crisis of youth unemployment in South Africa as we envision a country in which every unemployed young person is contributing to society and is empowered to build a sustainable future. AVA embraces volunteering as a tool to unlock the potential of unemployed youth (18-25 years) by training and placing them in full-time volunteering positions in a variety of contexts. Through these sustained volunteering opportunities, enriched by a unique personal development programme, the volunteers gain experience and are empowered to become economically independent and socially responsible citizens.
AVA seeks to appoint a Programmes Coordinator to be based in Cape Town.
Employment Type: Contract position with possibility of extension (6 months probation period)
Core mission is that The AVA Programmes Co-ordinator (PC) is responsible for overseeing the co-ordination of all AVAs programmes and will be working closely with the Director of Programmes and staff assigned to the programme areas.
Duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Coordination and support of all AVA programmes.
- Oversee implementation of Year Beyond programme in selected schools; fulfilling the role of a Year Beyond Mentor.
- Implement the progression programme/activities that addresses the employment opportunities of AVA participants and Alumni; supporting and guiding youth to apply to relevant opportunities post AVA.
- Develop and maintain a data base of external partners, opportunities, university applications and deadlines for the progression of youth
Volunteer/intern recruitment, training and support:
- Oversee and ensure the successful recruitment of youth participants for the different programme areas.
- Develop recruitment strategy and ensure recruitment targets are reached.
- Assist with planning and coordination of the annual calendar in cooperation with relevant stakeholders
- Prepare and facilitate self-development (SD) modules when required.
- Compile and prepare material for SD sessions and liaise with relevant staff for resources.
- Ensure development sessions are well organised and facilitated. Attend sessions facilitated by staff to evaluate, support and guide them when required.
- Ensure that issues with youth volunteers/interns are addressed in a professional and effective manner.
- Address any challenges that may arise from development sessions and ensure that all youth participants are well supported to succeed.
- Oversee and coordinate appropriate outings/events for youth, incl. graduation ceremony(s), etc.
- Attend meetings with stakeholders as required.
- Liaise with partner organisations and submit reports as required.
- Arrange quarterly meetings with W4P partners (SMMEs, NPOs, etc.)
- Liaise with all business partners to ensure effective implementation of W4P
- Submit monthly plan and report to the AVA Director of Programmes.
- Submit monthly school reports to ASPO by the 15th of each month.
- Manage collection of relevant data when required.
- Managing allocated funds in a responsible and accountable manner.
- Oversight of volunteer payments, based on registers and database.
HR and Management functions:
- Manage and mentor staff that report to this position and oversee HR functions that include leave applications, appraisal, etc.
- Train, support and manage team to mentor and train volunteers effectively.
- Conduct regular meetings with team to ensure the effective implementation of programme.
- Identify developmental opportunities with staff to ensure their continuous professional development.
- Attend all staff meetings and staff development trainings as required.
- Member of AVA Management Committee.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure meaningful reflection sessions for youth and capture learnings.
- Implement evaluation measures (M&E Framework).
- Report writing as required for funders, AVA Management, etc.
Communications and Marketing:
- Assist in collecting and compiling marketing material such as photographs, testimonies, etc.
- Ensure that at least one story/snippet per month is submitted for publication on Facebook.
- Assist with various fundraising initiatives/marketing events when required.
Oversee the operation of the AVA Alumni Association
Please be aware that flexibility is required due to the changing demands of the AVA Programmes
- A relevant degree in the social sciences or education or psychology
- Experience managing staff; i.e. ability to supervise, mentor and support young, developing staff
- At least 3 years experience in programme development and facilitation/training
- Self-motivator who demonstrates initiative with proactive approach to work
- Passionate about youth development and willing to go the extra mile
- Good leadership and supervisory skills and high level of personal responsibility and reliability
- Ability to engage and work with all stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills including verbal and writing abilities
- Driver’s licence and own vehicle
- Willing to develop professionally and personally; and contribute to a learning organisation
To apply: Send your CV and a letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is 22 April 2021 at 13h00. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. If you do not hear from AVA by 15 May 2021, consider your application as unsuccessful. AVA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Form more about Action Volunteers Africa, refer to www.avafrica.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies