The Open Circle Alexandra hospital grounds
The Open Circle is a Group home for 30 adults with Intellectual Disability and Challenging behavior that was established in January 2015 on the grounds of Alexandra Hospital in Maitland. This Pilot project aims to integrate 30 residents with challenging behavior that do not meet referral criteria of other Homes in the community, in a less-restrictive, homely environment.
The Open Circle Alexandra hospital grounds seeks to appoint Enrolled nurse to be based in Western Cape.
- Provide continuous quality nursing care to residents at Open Circle under the direct or indirect supervision of a PN
- Ensure a safe living area by minimizing exposure to medico-legal hazards
- Accurate record keeping which includes, Nursing Care-plan and Nursing process notes
- Monitoring of vital signs and Physical examinations
- Thorough Incident reporting and statistics
- Minutes of Hand-over morning meetings
- Administer and Ensuring residents take medication as prescribed by the doctor
- Acts as Shift-leader in the management of challenging behavior and medical/ psychiatric emergencies of any kind
- Manages emergency referrals and telephonic contact at night with other facilities, doctor on call, transport, etc.
- Contacts Manager on call in case of emergency
- Management of Epileptic seizures, and vital signs, Wound care, Escorting patients
- Record and report of Adverse incidents
- Admissions, Discharges and Transfers of residents
- Participates and manages the stimulation of residents according to developed OT program and over weekends.
- Basic Orientation of all new carers
- Supervision of care staff
- Delegate duties and act as shift leader on night shift
- Up to date Registration as the Enrolled Nurse (Staff nurse) with the SANC
- Able to speak 2 of the three official Languages of the Western Cape
- Possession of a valid SA Driver’s License
- Valid first aid and basic life support training
- Clinical experience in working with persons with Intellectual Disability or Psychiatry
- Clinical experience in dealing with persons with Challenging behavior
- Experience in supervision of junior staff (enrolled nursing assistants and care workers)
- Leadership/supervision skills
- Ability to work under extreme pressure
- Good Communication skills
- Problem solving skill
- Time management
Special requirements of this position:
- The successful candidate will be expected to be carry out emergency procedures during the time of emergency.
- The successful candidate will be expected to manage the Facility as delegated over weekends and after hours.
- Starting date: 1 April 2021
- The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a Criminal Name Clearance process
- Incumbent must be prepared to work shifts (7-7 or 19-7) and maintain positive interpersonal skills with all categories of staff in the execution of his/her functions
Please submit the following to The Facility Manager:
- Comprehensive CV including all experience with 3 contactable References
- Certified copy of ID and Driver’s License
- Certified Copy of Matric certificate, Enrolled nurse certificate and receipt of Registration with the SANC (up to date)
- 1 written reference (1 page)
Please drop off/ E-mail or Fax to:
The Open Circle
Corner of Annex way and Alexandra Roads
Grounds of Alexandra Hospital
*Please note that The Open Circle will require your presence at the Interview if short-listed and that we cannot finance any costs associated with travelling to and from the interview.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies