Amnesty Intrnational South Africa
Amnesty International South Africa (AISA) is a national human rights entity that is part of a global human rights movement. It was established to address national human rights priorities as well as create the possibility for people in South Africa to join Amnesty International’s global human rights movement. Our mission in South Africa is to address pertinent national human rights issues through research and campaigning, and to empower people living in South Africa to take action on issues that matter to them by joining Amnesty’s global movement.
AISA seeks to appoint Research Intern to be based in Johannesburg.
To offer the intern with an opportunity to gain up to one year’s work experience with an international organisation. The intern will provide assistance and support with the delivery of the Research Strategy for Amnesty International South Africa (AISA).
The purpose of the Research Programme is focused on developing and implementing an overarching evidence-based research strategy in the field of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, which feeds into AISA’s campaigning and growth strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities and the overall theory of change.
Reporting to: Researcher
Key Relationships: Executive Director, Campaigner, Finance & Human Resources Manager, Media & Communications Officer and Membership & Growth
Provide Assistance to the Researcher:
- Assist with coding research data
- Find effective ways to communicate data
- Assist with information management
- Transcribe recorded research interviews
Research & Writing:
- Research and investigate information from a variety of sources
- Collect, analyse and develop interpretations of data, summarise findings
- Draft documents, e.g. policy analyses, summaries, briefs, submissions
- Contribute to research proposals and reports for internal and external publication
Administration & Logistics:
- Assist with making travel arrangements; booking flights and accommodation
- Liaise with service providers
- Help with admin tasks such as arranging quotations and requisitions
- Assist with scheduling meetings, correspondence and note-taking
- Provide reception relief when required
- Carry out any other duties within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job
- Participate in all staff meetings, trainings and retreats as required
- Participate in external stakeholder meetings as required
- Participate in the organisation in ways that initiate and foster a congenial, productive and supportive work environment
- Abide by all Amnesty International South Africa Policies, Regulations and Procedures.
Skills & Experience:
- A degree in social sciences, law, development, human rights, or any other related field, with research experience
- Excellent written skills
- Ability to think critically and innovatively
- Passionate about Human Rights
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented and creative
- Confident communicator and ability to converse with wide variety of groups
- Ability to work independently
- Strong time management skills, ability to work to deadlines and to prioritise
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel
If you have not heard from us by the 20 February 2021 please consider your application unsuccessful.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about AISA, refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesty_International_South_Africa
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies