Desmond Tutu Health Foundation
The Desmond Tutu Health Foundation (DTHF) is a registered non-profit organisation focused on the pursuit of excellence in research, treatment and prevention of HIV and related infections in Southern Africa.
We have fantastic job opportunities across our businesses for talented people wanting to realize their full potential. Could that be you? If so, we invite you to explore the possibility of joining us to play your part in Desmond Tutu Health Foundations’ exciting future.
The Desmond Tutu Health Foundation (DTHF) seeks to appoint a Data Systems Manager to be based in Head Office Observatory South Africa.
The main purpose of this job is to lead the strategic positioning, development and institutionalizing data management processes, procedures and systems; responsible for data quality and compatibility between data models while upholding agreed security standards. To coordinate data team staff, oversee and maintain all data infrastructure systems and platforms, and develop and action core data collection, quality assurance and management activities and services.
Employment Type: Fixed-Term two year contract.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Database Management, Statistics, Computer Science or another related field – Masters will be advantageous
- 5+ years’ experience working as a Data Manager – experience in a research environment advantageous
- Technical expertise in data systems and quality assurance
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid code 08 driver’s license; willingness to travel extensively
- Data and tool development using Dynamics, Power BI and REDCap
- Relational database and data server management
- Data Management strategy development
- Certificate in Database Development and Management / Certificate in Maintenance /
- Certificate in information Technology (Network Configuration and/or application development) / Certificate in Management
- Proficiency in Xhosa and other local languages
- IT network infrastructure maintenance and management
- Good Clinical Practices in relation to data safety and archival procedures
- Epidemiologic study designs and biostatistical skills highly advantageous
- Development of ACASI data collection tools
- Knowledge in Public Health research implementation and monitoring procedures
- Use of STATA, SPSS, SAS or R for data analysis
- Experience with cloud hosting, HTML, php or c++languages
- 3+ years in a team leadership and staff mentoring role
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration and communication (oral and written) skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and strong follow through
- Ability to manage several tasks concurrently and prioritize work effectively
- Solutions oriented – passion for understanding ambiguous complex problems and driving high quality innovative solutions
- Deadline oriented, displaying a high level of ethics and integrity
- Develop organisational policies to regulate data management
- Position the Research Unit system to be flexible, sustainable and align to global research standards
- Institutionalize high quality collection, management, quality assurance and archival systems and processes
- Identify and incorporate emerging data technologies and eHealth systems into current and future research.
- Design compatible and integrated systems for data processing and sharing with research partners
Research Project Data Management:
- Manage and ensure that all data collection platforms and systems meet the needs of individual research projects and field implementation activities
- Design user-friendly interface applications for data collection and facilitate trainings and field implementation
- Work with Study Principle Investigator (PI) and Manager to develop data management and quality assurance plans, including project progress monitoring tools
- Ensure training of and optimal implementation of all components of project data management
- Develop and automate statistical dashboard on project implementation and key study variables
- Design and implement automated randomization procedures with allocation concealment
Database and IT Management
- Implement, adapt and monitor data infrastructure including its networking and access
- Maintain Research Unit virtual servers and hosting platforms and work with the current IT team to resolve software, hardware, and network problems
- Development back-end database systems including SQL, Oracle and MariaDB
- Design and implement confidential and ethically acceptance data transmission strategies
- Support, train and mentor Data Team staff members
- Provide capacity building for other relevant staff members
- Inform technical specifications and oversee procurement of software, hardware and electronic resources
- Prepare and extract analytic datasets, and perform basic analysis for project PI and managers
- Attend departmental management meetings
Values fit: Passion Innovation Progress Integrity Respect Excellence
To apply, quote Job reference, submit CV, motivation letter with certified copy of highest qualification and details of three (3) current contactable referees to: Attention HR Manager Jobs@hiv-research.org.za by 30th January 2021 Job reference: #DTHF/C001. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only on-line applications submitted via our jobs portal will be considered.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
NB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. We are committed to equity in our employment practices. It is our intention to appoint individuals with the aim of meeting our equity objectives. We reserve the right not to appoint if no suitable candidates are identified.
I understand and accept that, by applying for this role, I authorise Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation in its capacity as employer, to access my personal information stored, and to utilise said information for recruitment purposes for this role.
If you have not heard from us within two weeks after the closing date please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation is a child friendly organisation committed to the protection of children.
For more about the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation, refer to www.desmondtutuhivfoundation.org.za