Amandla Development is a nonprofit organisation that works to empower South African youth with equal access to quality education opportunities. Amandla facilitates a collective impact network in Philippi that fosters a community-driven, holistic, and sustainable approach to improving learner well-being and education outcomes.
Amandla Development seeks to appoint a Sustainability Officer, to be based in Philippi, Cape Town.
Start date: January 2021
Employment Type: Full time
The successful candidate will be a full-time appointment whose work is central to the sustainability of the organization, accomplished by 1) developing Amandla’s external communications to our various donor and potential donor audiences, and 2) supporting the executive director’s fundraising both with individuals and institutional donors. There will also be significant time devoted to developing and communicating Amandla’s work in the Philippi community.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of similar work with similar organisations, and will work closely with the Executive Director and management team to create systems and strategies for raising Amandla’s profile in South Africa and overseas. It will be vital to get to know Amandla’s work quickly and be able to confidently communicate to external audiences. The role requires an understanding of how communications and fundraising work together.
- Supporting the Executive Director and US Fundraising board in donor stewardship and engagement
- Developing our social media through content creation (including visual media such as photography and film), community management as part of a broader communications and fundraising strategy
- Prospect research (i.e., researching appropriately aligned foundations and other sources of funding)
- Donor database management
- Developing written and online communications for multiple audiences (understanding our various audiences and their needs is essential)
- Training staff and beneficiaries in social media best practices and developing multimedia content
- Supporting individual donor stewardship and engagement
- Institutional and individual donor prospect research
- Develop campaign (e.g., annual Giving Tuesday campaign) infrastructure
- Bi-monthly board meetings
- Minimum two years in a similar role, either full-time or consulting
- Demonstrated experience with social media and online communications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, with isiXhosa considered a big plus
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong research skills
- Township experience will be highly-valued
- Understanding of and interest in youth development and education
- Ability to be innovative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Extremely positive and proactive
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage shifting deadlines
- Fundraising understanding or experience would be beneficial but not essential
- Eagerness to learn more about development and fundraising IS essential
To apply, submit 1) a CV (maximum two pages), 2) a brief motivational letter, 3) your most recent salary and salary expectations for the role to email@example.com quoting “Sustainability” in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
Ensure that your cover letter explains your interest in Amandla's approach and outlines why you would be well-suited to this position.
Applications without required information will not be considered.