Soul City Institute is an intersectional feminist organisation and our mission is to ensure that young women and girls enjoy substantive equality, with access to resources and opportunities that enable this. The Organisation promotes a society where all people share a common humanity, respect for human rights, and a fair allocation of resources. As an intersectional feminist organisation, Soul City Institute recognises the multiple and interconnecting oppressions experienced by women through supremacies that include race, gender and class.
Soul City seeks to appoint a Monitoring, Evaluation, Report & Learning Manager to be based in Gauteng.
The purpose of this position is to ensure sound design & high quality monitoring, research, evaluation and reporting activities of Soul City Institute programs that comply with donor performance reporting requirements.
Report to: Head of Programmes
- Design, conduct and oversee internal evaluations using sound methodology to measure the outcomes and impact of SCI programs;
- Schedule and manage external evaluations conducted by credible evaluators for the purpose of measuring the objectives, goals and impact of SCI programs;
- Participate and lead in the design, implementation, analysis and interpretation of evaluation studies to assess if Soul City Institute programme interventions, have achieved their objectives, as well as, to ascertain the reach and impact thereof;
- Conduct epidemiological and statistical analyses on data collected to evaluate the impact of programs;
- Design, execute and/ or manage qualitative studies for formative and summative research purposes
- Disseminate results from research and evaluation studies at relevant platforms and conferences nationally, regionally and globally;
- Develop donor specific monitoring & evaluation plans for programs;
- Provide monitoring, evaluation, research and learning technical support to programs by designing appropriate indicators and tools to monitor program performance;
- Design and implement a results-based monitoring plan and provide routine and regular feedback to program managers on project performance against set targets for decision making: planning & improvement purposes;
- Provide M&E capacity building by developing and implementing training that strengthens the program team’s ability to effectively monitor their program activities;
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and learning by providing timeous feedback to program team on the results of evaluation studies to enhance the effectiveness of programs;
- Prepare reports as and when required, and support the M&E team in data analysis and compilation towards donor reporting;
- Prepare papers and articles for conferences, journals, magazines, newspapers, books and websites, including M&E reports, fact sheets or policy brief’s for public dissemination.
- Manage the various components of the program dealing with M&E data collection, verification, and reporting;
- Contribute to the organisation’s resource mobilisation proposal development through writing M&E plans budget;
- Contribute to the growth of the research and evaluation portfolio by developing research and evaluation proposals;
- Participate in the Soul City management forum.
- Take ownership and accountability for all deliverables and responsibilities assigned to the M&E manager position;
- In consultation with the Head of Programmes, identify own training and coaching requirements to achieve optimal performance;
- Manage the M&E unit to ensure ongoing work and achievement of deliverables by a team of with individuals who work together and provide each other with mutual support, assistance and cooperation;
- Comply with HR policies and procedures;
- Develop the capacity of 3 Monitoring & Evaluation Officers to ensure that they have the necessary knowledge and skills to perform his/her functions optimally.
Stakeholder relations and management:
- Participate in the monitoring and evaluation processes with partners from the NGO, government and academic sectors;
- Ensure effective coordination with key stakeholders including government and private sector as well as civil society partners;
- Liaise with important stakeholders in research and M&E and establish and maintain these relations
Financial management/ governance:
- Prepare & support the development of the annual M&E budget for relevant programs;
- Prepare expenditure projections as and when required;
- Monitor monthly actual expenditure against budgets, identify variances and ensure that the necessary follow up action is taken;
- Comply with all financial policies and procedures including procurement;
- Manage service providers/ suppliers in accordance with terms and conditions of the relevant contracts;
- Undertake spending with due regard to value for money & ensure that service providers pricing is competitive;
- Prepare documents and presentations for management, donor and Board reporting requirements.
- Prepare any other reports as and when required.
- Prepare and deliver presentations at relevant international and local meetings and forums.
- Perform any other duties which may be reasonably required to do as are appropriate to the M&E manager position and in the interest of the organization, and could be outside of the Research, M and E scope.
- A post graduate degree or an equivalent qualification in research, public health or epidemiology;
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of health and social related projects and programmes;
- At least 5 years’ experience in qualitative and quantitative research in a health and social related field;
- Experience in data analysis of health and social related data using appropriate software such as SPSS or STATA 8 and ATLAS.ti;
- At least 3 years’ experience managing budgets and finances in excess of R1 million per annum; and
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience at a managerial level, including managing teams.
- Strong writing skills in English, including an ability to write clearly and concisely on short deadlines;
- Experience in writing and presenting papers at national and global conferences;
Additional requirements (advantageous but not essential):
- Strong research skills, including sampling, quantitative and qualitative research design and data analysis;
- Experience in research publication with peer reviewed journals
- Experience in qualitative participatory research methods
- Experience in social and behaviour change communication; and
- Management training
- Sound knowledge of public health and social development/ justice.
- Sound project management skills and understanding of project management processes and methodologies.
- Able to analyse and evaluate data and information.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills.
- Good presentation skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office - including word, excel, PowerPoint and outlook.
- Good team player.
- Self-motivated, a self-starter and able to work with limited supervision.
- Able to generate and adapt creative ideas and solutions to improve performance.
- Able to multi-task and prioritise.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Able to use own initiative and take ownership of his/her tasks.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Communication skills in other South African languages would be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of the edutainment development process would be an added advantage.
- Valid Drivers’ License
- Own transport
Please forward your CV and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies