Isandla Institute is a non-profit organisation with a vision of just, equitable, sustainable and democratic urban habitats. Through research, dialogue, advocacy, institutional support, partnerships and network coordination, we seek to help bring about systems and practices of urban governance that advance this vision. Our work centres around the notion of urban citizenship, which we understand to be about both the enjoyment of rights and urban life opportunities as well as processes of political participation and claims-making.
PROJECT OFFICER: URBAN LAND
Isandla Institute is looking to employ a Project Officer in our Urban Land Programme. The Programme seeks to promote access to urban land and human settlement development for spatial transformation, inclusive and just place making and city making, and sustainable development. We are involved in a partnership project that focuses on the backyard rental market as a vital (and not well-understood) component of an affordable rental market that can support people’s rights to shelter, services and urban citizenship. We are looking for a dynamic, self-driven person to complement our team. The position is based in Cape Town.
Key job responsibilities:
- Conduct research and contribute to/produce and disseminate research outputs
- Review city documents for the annual update of the Planning for Informality webtool
- Provide event logistics support
- Present research in appropriate fora
- Update organisational social media platforms
- Produce media outputs for organisational and external forums (eg website, newspapers)
- Maintain a project database
- Contribute to report writing
- Project administration.
Key competency requirements:
- Good research and writing skills
- Ability to write for different audiences
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good conceptual and analytical abilities
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to plan tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and be flexible
- Appetite for learning and open to feedback
- Good project administration skills
- Advanced computer literacy
- Valid unendorsed driver’s licence.
The successful candidate needs to have a Masters Degree in Planning, Geography, Development Studies or related field, and a minimum of 1-2 years relevant work experience, preferably in the NGO sector. A good understanding of urban development, human settlements, local government and/or the public sector is essential. An understanding of the backyard rental sector is a definite advantage. S/he must be a RSA citizen or have a permanent RSA resident permit.
Isandla Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks to diversify its staff. Preference will be given to suitable candidates in terms of the organisation’s equity policy.
An application form with details about how to apply is available online. Please click on this hyperlink: Project Officer Application. Deadline for applications is Thursday 26 November 2020 at 15:00 (local time). Applications are only complete if the application form includes 2 contactable references and is accompanied by an application letter, clearly explaining how you qualify for the position, and your CV, which has to include a list of publications. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Salary range: R160,000-200,000 (total cost to company).